chapter. 8

Jason's POV

During the movies, I feel the kid grabbing my sleeve and shifting in the beanbag with the occasional gasp. Honestly, I just thought he was being a kid and reacting to the movie like any normal preteen would. Then it was during the second movie that I remembered how old he actually is and realize his hands are shaking around my arm.

Suddenly he presses his face into my arm, clinging to me like a lifeline. I look down at him surprised and mutter his name "Danny?" I place my free hand on his upper back only to feel him shaking like a leaf.

I quickly realize "holy shit, you're actually scared" and he grips me tighter like he thinks I'm going to pull away. I turn slightly so I can see Bruce and click my tongue to get his attention. He starts to smile at me but then his look turns to confusion as he sees Danny clinging to me. His eyes widen as he notices his shaking.

He mouths 'is he?' And I nod. He goes to get up but I shake my head and he hesitantly sits back down. I slip my arm out of his grip and hear him whimper softly. That catches the super's attention and they look over. I press Danny to my chest, letting him grab at my shirt and jacket before wrapping one arm behind his back and the other under his legs.

I carry him out to the family room and just sit on the couch with him until I realize he's dozed off. I watch the clock, not knowing when we're supposed to sneak out. It's only 9:45 right now and most concerts don't start until late so I'll try to wake him at about 10:30ish.

I've figured out a few things in the last twenty minutes. First, he's a cuddler. Second, he's naturally cold. Third, his heart slows down exponentially while he's asleep, a lot like mine. Fourth, his hair is really soft.

I like these discoveries, minus the cold, I'm not a fan of the cold. Suddenly he breathes out heavily, releasing what looks like a small fog cloud. His eyes slowly open and I literally feel his body temperature rise to just below normal. This makes me a little concerned but I brush it off for now as he sits up off my chest. He glances around, looking at me for a second before asking "what time is it?" As he rubs his face.

I report "10:10" and he nods. He gets up and looks around like he's making sure no one is around before asking "ready to go?" I nod and he starts walking. I rush to stand and follow, noticing another thing. He doesn't make footsteps.

He leads me upstairs to the third floor and to the 'special' guest rooms. I follow him inside one where he instantly crawls under the bed. For a moment I genuinely think 'oh lord, he's actually crazy' then he comes out with a duffel bag and I smack myself.

He works around the bed like an evil genius. He ruffles the blanket, turns the pillows, makes a body groove, and that's all before he even starts making a decoy. He measures his own body before balling up his clothes in a way that an actual person sleeps. Not like newbies who just put it laying on it's back. He makes it hugging a pillow on its side with its knees tucked up and even with a stuffed sock sticking out from under the blanket. It looks incredibly real and I'm impressed.

Suddenly he takes off his shoes, leaving them messily on the floor beside the bed. I question him on this one "what are you doing with your shoes?" He hums before saying "oh! It's usually the lack of shoes that give it away. I've gotten caught by my sister a few times because of it" I nod as he disappears under the bed again.

This time he pulls out a backpack and starts pulling out little pieces of technology. I ask again "what are you doing?" And he answers "making a fake heartbeat. That big guy, Clark, seems to be able to hear them so if Bruce asks him to check on me he won't notice" this kid is not stupid. If no one notices when we get back, I'm so rubbing it in their faces.

He holds a newly made device up to his ear before kicking the bag back under the bed. He brings it over to me and asks "how's this sound to you? Do you think I need to slow it down?" I take it and listen to the soft thumping. I place my hand against his chest, feeling his heartbeat and measuring it before nodding and saying "that's good" and handing it back to him.