twenty two

I woke up the next morning in a much better mood than I had in a few days. I couldn't help but smile when I thought about the events of the previous night. After Michael and I had made it official, we spent the rest of the night cuddling, looking up at the stars, and sneaking a few kisses. It was the simple things like that, that made me happy. I didn't need Michael to take me out to fancy restaurants or to spend money on me. All I wanted was his presence, and we could be doing anything- it didn't matter to me. I just wanted him.

I hurriedly got myself ready for the day, the smile never leaving my face because I knew that I would see Michael again tonight.

As I giddily ran down the stairs, I nearly collided with my mother.

"Woah, what's gotten into you this morning?" She asked.

"Oh, nothing." I smiled. "I just decided to be in a better mood this morning, I guess." I eluded.

"Well, how about you take some of that good energy and start cleaning the house. The Hemmings are coming over for dinner." My mother informed causing my smile to instantly disappear.

"What!? Why!?" I really didn't want to face Luke again. We still hadn't talked since my little meltdown, and things would definitely be awkward between the two of us.

"Because they are our neighbors, and they're very nice people. Besides, you're friends with Luke, so what's the big deal?" She questioned.

I opened my mouth to debate the status of mine and Luke's "friendship" but quickly cut off before a syllable could escape my lips. I realized that if I started to explain why we didn't get along it would just lead to questions that I didn't want to answer and an unnecessary argument about Michael. So, in this case, silence was my best option.

I mumbled softly under my breath something about going to go clean the living room so that I could avoid further confrontation and ruining my mood even more.

-

The smell of my mother's homemade lasagna wafted through the air instantly causing my mouth to water. The long rectangle table that was used only for guests was perfectly set up so that not a fork was out of place. My mother often felt as if she needed to impress people with her layout of the table just in case the meal went disastrous. Don't ask me- it doesn't make sense to me either. I'm reasonably sure that our guests don't go home saying, "well, at least the table looked nice. We'll be back for sure."

But now here we are. My mother sitting at the head of the perfectly placed table with Mr. and Mrs. Hemmings sitting to her right and Luke and I sitting side by side to her left. The layout was so that Luke and I could have some "quality bonding time to improve our relationship" as my mother put it. Little did she know that I was resisting the urge to throw up at the sight of his face.

Of course, throughout the dinner, Luke had to be a perfect gentleman. Always answering "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am" to my mother and volunteering to pass a dish when someone wanted more salad or garlic bread. It made sick just how polite he was being because I knew that he was really anything but that.

Finally I couldn't take it anymore. Luke kept stealing glances at me that I couldn't quite make out and his two-faced persona throughly pissed me off.

"May I be excused? I'm not feeling too well." I asked trying to make it seem believable. Although, it wasn't too hard considering I did feel slightly nauseous due to Luke's presence.

My mother studied my face for a moment before deciding that I was telling the truth. "Sure, sweetie." She smiled.

I quickly thanked her, but before I could even make it up two stairs, I heard my mother's voice wrecking my plans.

"Why don't you go up with her, Luke. Make sure she's doing alright."

I internally groaned and had the urge to scream out a loud "no!" I had planned on locking myself in my room and then calling Michael, but apparently I was going to be forced to spend even more time socializing with someone I despised rather than talking with my source of happiness. Just great. Note the sarcasm there.

I hurriedly sped up the stairs to my room and flung myself down on the bed. About a minute later I heard footsteps enter my dungeon. I instantly knew it was Luke without even having to glance up.

"Listen, Luke. I know neither of us really get along, and I'm sure you don't want to be here. So, let's just pretend that the other isn't here and carry on with our lives." I was completely straight forward and to the point. There was no reason to beat around the bush. But, of course, Luke had to open his lying mouth.

"I actually do want to talk to you, Alyx." He explained, but I didn't want to hear it. So, I did what any normal pissed off teenager would do: I gave him a lovely view of my middle finger.

"I know what you want to talk about, but I'm not willing to discuss it. So leave it alone." I kept my face buried into my pillows, so most of my sentence was probably muffled, and I doubt he could understand it, but I couldn't care less.

He let out an exasperated sigh letting me know that I had defeated him once again.

Alyx Harper: 2

Luke Hemmings: 0

Not that I'm keeping score or anything.

-

Michael: hey babe open your window

I smiled at the text, eager to see my boyfriend again. However, the smile instantly vanished once I realized the presence of an unwanted body: Luke was still in my room.

Alyx: I can't. Luke is here. My mom invited his family over for dinner and now we're being forced to spend time together

Michael: so? Just have him cover for you. It's the least he could do

Michael did have a point, but then again, did I really want to ask Luke for a favor?

Screw it.

"Hey, Luke?" I asked timidly. "Can you do me a favor and cover for me?"

"Why?" He questioned suspiciously.

"I need to meet with Michael." I trailed off at the end of sentence because I knew that he wouldn't approve.

It was clear that he heard me from the expression on his face though. "No. No. There is no way in hell I'm covering for you if it involves that asshole." Luke crossed his arms over his chest.

I didn't want to resort to desperate measures, buuuut I did.

I begged.

"Please, Luke. Please, please, please." I dropped to my knees and pulled a puppy dog face.

I stayed in that position while Luke kept a hard look on his face. I continued to bat my eyelashes hoping it would make him give in.

"Fine," Luke rolled his eyes. "I'll do it."

"Yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I jumped for joy and nearly hugged Luke but then decided against it at the last minute.

I walked over to the window before opening it wide and studying the tree just outside of it. I could easily make the jump. So I did.

"Hey, babe." Michael greeted me with a quick peck on the lips before tangling his fingers with mine and pulling me away from the house.

A/N

Idk about this. I'm sorry it sucks. I just kinda write and I honestly don't even know where it's gonna end up. I literally have no plans and that's probably bad. So this story is just as much of a surprise to you as it is to me! Woot woot!

Okay I'm done now.

Peace out✌️