43. Psyche

She should probably note that in the time she had to sit and reflect on her life, she had started school again.

That meant her travelling into the city a couple times a week. Of course, whilst she was away in the day, she had a neighbour that she could trust enough to look after her animals and farm.

Her studies focused more on neurology, and her residency was pretty full on. Though Mona had completed much of it, she needed to redo her entire residency journey. It meant long hours, and often times she barely could keep her eyes open long enough to make it home for dinner time.

But it was worth it. She felt good, doing something she had been meaning to finish. School was the reason why she left her hometown, and it was rewarding knowing she was focusing on the thing that once brought her joy.

That particular day as she finished her shift, she was heading for her car when she started to think about her recent new follower.

The penthouse wasn't far from the hospital, it was the reason they chose to live in this specific area. She knew if she wanted to, she could go and see the place.

Mona wasn't too sure what had gotten into her, she tried to reason with her sanity, telling herself that she just wanted to see it. For old times sake.

Not for anything more. Pftt, of course not.

She drove herself to the penthouse after that one reflection, it would detour her a further thirty minutes home but she wasn't exactly thinking. If she was, she would've gone straight home.

But her mind couldn't stop wondering, it led her to do the very thing he had been doing to her this whole time.

Oh Mona, she thought. What a bad, horrible, awful idea.

Before she could talk herself out of it, she was parked in the familiar parking lot staring up at the tall fancy building out of her rear view window.

Her mind started to swarm with all kinds of memories, she smiled unconsciously as she pictured him and her in their younger days.

She was clever enough to know this wasn't the right thing to do, however, her impulsive urge to see inside the home was too tempting.

Her scrubs were the least attractive thing she could've worn to see him again, perhaps that should've been her sign to leave. Instead, she exited her car, locking it behind her and made her way into the entrance.

"Hello, Miss. How are you?" The polite doorman said to her as she looked up at him and smiled.

She recognised him straight away, but she was certain he had no idea who she was. After all, it had been almost seven years since she had been here.

"I'm great, thank you. I uh, I was just coming up to see a friend." She trailed off nervously.

Saying the words out loud made her realise how ridiculous she sounded, the man simply stepped aside and opened the door for her.

"It's nice to see you again, Mona." He finished off, letting her in.

That was enough to make her smile grow in wideness, and also to cause that hesitation to skyrocket.

Okay, yeah, no this was a bad idea.

"You too, Rich." She gave him another kind grin, shaking her head. "You know what? I actually just remembered I don't need to see this friend tonight, apologies for confusion."

He offered her a nod in understanding and she turned back around.

Shaking herself, she thought about how stupid that had been and she headed back to her car.