Chapter 18

Jelena: lost files

Jelena: lost files

2,000,000 likes ~ 7,000 comments

---

Marshall and I never planned to give up our careers for the sake of marriage so we established a routine to help balance our time together. Having children messed up that routine as we would find ourselves staying up the whole day because they would keep us or just wouldn't fall asleep when we needed to work.

Whenever I tell people that my day begins at six in the morning, they never believe me until we go on a trip or have to work on a project together. 

It's nearing six thirty in the morning and I am working on my laptop in the kitchen while Marshall prepares breakfast for the family. We have about half an hour before Aaliyah comes walking down and another hour before Chase finally wakes up.

"I spoke with Aaron yesterday." Marshall's words take me by surprise. "I know that we planned to let him cool off but I had to see how he was doing. We tried to be good parents but we let our differences and addictions get in the way of doing that."

"What did he say?" I quietly ask while taking a sip of my coffee.

"He wants to apologise for all the things he said but he needs more time to process everything." Marshall starts plating my food. "Hearing that his brother wanted to kill himself was a tough one for all of us but it was different for him because he blames himself for it. Where I failed as a father... Aaron stepped up and I think he assumes responsibility over Chase even though he doesn't need to."

I sigh deeply, "I always knew that Chase a little more sensitive than his siblings but to hear everything that he said broke me. The prayer that I prayed last night and this morning was no joke because I don't know how we got to this point."

"The whole thing is fucked." Marshall shakes his head while handing me my plate and I give his hand a squeeze. "I don't even know what the fuck to say at this point. I don't want to address the situation with Chase because people today are not like the ones that we grew up with and I don't want to hurt his bitch ass."

"Marshall." I purse my lips at him. "Don't call him a bitch ass."

"This whole generation is soft as fuck and I can't speak to my Goddamn son because I'm scared that he'll fucking hurt himself." He reaches for his empty cup before launching it at the wall and I say nothing as we watch it shatter.

"What's sad is that we didn't even react." I tell him as he drops his head. "We have become so accustomed to things that would be considered a trauma or a red flag and we've passed that onto our children."

"I'll clean that shit up before the kids wake up."

"We used to have help until you fired them all." I remind him with an eye roll as I turn my attention to the food. "We could definitely use them right about now."