Chapter 20

Jelena: Made it Vegas

6,000,000 likes ~ 20,000 comments

---

"The first time that I came out to Vegas was for the release of my album on March 24th which is where your father and I conveniently got wasted before running off to wed infront of Elvis." I smile at the memory. "I will always remember that moment whenever I'm down here because we were so in love despite only knowing eachother for a month."

Aaliyah and I have flown out to Vegas for the day to attend a music event which I'm pretty excited for since I will be performing. I would have loved to have had my whole family out here for the show but with the way things are, it's better not to put all of us in the same room.

"Have you considered doing your vow renewal here?" My daughter asks as we wait for our car. "I'm sure we could find you a really nice place or you could even go back to the same chapel."

I smile at her words, "That would be the dream but I feel that we may have outgrown that stage in our lives. I was thinking more along the lines of a destination wedding somewhere exotic."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did." I wink at her before my attention to my phone. "You can ask me about anything besides my relationship with your father and Christina."

Aaliyah gives me a look, "How did you become so confident in yourself?"

"I'm forty five years old." I remind her with a grimace. "If I wasn't confident in myself at this age then I would be worried. Confidence was never something that I really struggled with until I started having babies and growing older. No matter what I wore whether it was a freakin' boiler suit or a bikini, I was mom shamed and it made me feel really bad."

She starts rubbing my back.

"I did try to make changes to my appearance to look 'like a mom' but I had the biggest cheerleader in my corner reminding me of who the fuck I was. Your father supported me through everything but he also reminded me that I never dressed for people, I dressed for me and so I started doing just that." A sigh leaves my lips. "Sometimes I question if whether I should be dressing so provocatively at my age but then again, who gets to decide what's provocative and what's not?"