Chapter 19

Jelena: That 90s glam 

2,300,000 likes ~ 9,000 comments

---

Aaron refused to come out to dinner with us so we ended up having a pretty awkward night at a restaurant that I made reservations at. I woke up this morning to find that Aaron had blocked me on everything so I had no choice to go about my life but I won't say that his actions didn't hurt me.

I'm mourning the loss of my relationship with my eldest son.

"This is an iconic moment for sure." The host of the podcast states as she beams at me. "I have interviewed quite a few famous faces but you are definitely the biggest artist to appear on my podcast so thank you for giving the little people a chance."

I fake a laugh, "Happy to be here."

Times have definitely changed since I first started out and with social media holding the power to having a successful career, my label are working overtime to keep me current. I have my instagram down but they keep my facebook, twitter and youtube page running.

Podcasts are apparently the new big thing so I now need to start appearing in them as they have become the new radio interviews. I thought I could rock up in my sweats and no makeup but I was informed that the entire podcast will be filmed so I had to look my best.

"I love how effortless you look." Lacey starts giggling before looking down at her notes. "You are known for being a fashion icon so I wonder where your fashion influences come from, if you have any."

"Fashion influences come and go." I answer while taking a sip of my ice coffee. "I find myself inspired by a multitude of things so I wouldn't say that I have influences, I wear what I wear."

"What period would you consider to be fashion at its peak?"

"The 90s for sure." She perks up at my sudden enthusiasm. "90s fashion was fashion at its peak as it really was an effortless period which conjured so many different styles. People naturally think grunge or street when the word 90s comes to mind but I think freedom of expression. That was the time when people wore what they wore because it resonated with them and not because they had to wear it. There was individuality in everybody and a common acceptance for all the different styles."

Lacey smiles at me, "What was your 90s style?"

"The classic street style which consisted of doc martens, mom jeans, a basic tee and a plaid shirt to wrap around my waist." I laugh at the memory. "My street style adjusted a little when I grew more popular so now I was wearing really baggy jeans and crop tops. I don't know if you remember seeing the men of the NBA in their oversized suits, that was literally the vibe in the rap culture but you would see it more on the men."

"What would be your go to date night or event look?"

"I had a stylist so whenever a designer brand wanted me to promote their upcoming collection then that's what I typically wore at events, performances and on red carpets." I rub my lips together. "My go to date night look would usually be a co-ord because it's a two in one and I would get a lot of my stuff custom made. If you saw me with a lace black crop top with matching pants then you best believe there was a matching thong to go with it incase I felt the urge to strip or do something crazy."