Eight | War of Hearts

I'm stressed

I'm stressed.

My game controller is heating up in my hands as I keep pressing square and I'm going to go into heat stroke if I don't get out of this suit.

Tonight is the night of the annual Estela dance. These dances are usually for people with money such as my family and aren't usually held here in New York, but rather in Monaco or sometimes even Venice. They decided to change it this year since almost everyone now lives in the states.

It's quite annoying that every time we have these dances my father thinks we must impress everyone. We always have to pretend to be the family that we're not.

"What are you playing?" Newt asks as he sits down on the other couch. His new grey suit jacket is thrown beside him where his lighter and box of cigarettes sit. "The Last of Us," I say, switching the guns in the game before killing the clickers.

I don't miss a single shot and I'm sure it's from all my lacrosse practice.

Beside me is a jar of sour gummy worms, which is smart of me because I already know they won't feed us much at the dance. The jar consists of only blue and pink worms since they were color-coordinated by none other than Dylan himself.

"Good aim." He grabs the box of cigarettes, pulls one out, and places it between his lips. "Thanks," I mumble, my eyes scrunching up from the sour gummies.

It's moments like this that have me thinking that maybe he's not so bad. It's moments like this that make me think that Newt is a good father and I'm just dramatic.

"Can I try?" He asks, catching me off guard. I give him a side eye before slowly handing him the controller. I spot his silver class ring on his index finger, shiny and blinding. It's his favorite piece of jewelry, I suppose. He takes it from me as he begins to try playing the game. He completely misses when he shoots. I don't say anything as I watch him waste all my supplies on one clicker.

He continues to play before he moves his arm to look at the watch on his wrist. "We're late!" He shouts, throwing the controller to the couch before standing up. "Fiona! Let's get a move on!" He calls for my mother, walking towards the stairs.

I sigh, turning off the TV and not bothering to save the game before I finally put on my socks and shoes. These socks aren't even mine, I stole them from Norah since I didn't have a single pair that didn't have holes. They're long pink and yellow socks and I won't even lie, I love them. "I can't find my Pearl earrings!" I hear my mother scream at top of her lungs.

"Wear another pair! We have to go!" Newt yells back. I listen to them argue as I continued to stuff my face with gummy worms. The sour mix of flavors dissolves on my tongue and glues my mouth shut. "It's the earrings you bought me!" Fiona tries justifying her search and I hear something bang. "Wear these then!" Footsteps descend the stairs and Newt is walking toward the kitchen.

"Fiona and Norah! If you're not in the car in the next minute I'm leaving without you!" He yells, grabbing his car keys before he opens the kitchen cabinet, pulling out a small jar of some white powder. He pours the white powder onto the table to make a line before he snorts it right in front of me.