Fifty-three | Rock Me

I'm sure the laughter of people walking in the parking lot can be heard all the way to the estate

I'm sure the laughter of people walking in the parking lot can be heard all the way to the estate. We won by a lot. The other team had no shot after I promised an Overdrive event if we won. I've never seen my team play so well before.

I have my hand intertwined with Nida's as we walk towards my car. She came to the game with Norah and her friends a few minutes before the game could start and now she's leaving it with me. "Can I drive?" Nida asks as I throw my bag into the trunk of my car. I stop in my tracks, turning my head to look at her. "What?"

"Can. I. Drive. Your. Car?" I look to the side, seeing people already starting their cars and waiting for Luke to drop the location since I don't have a phone. "Let me put on my thinking cap." I pull out a cap from my trunk and putting it on. I stroke my chin, looking out into the distance.

I never let anyone drive my car. It's my sacred space. It's terrifying to think of anyone besides me sitting behind the wheel. "Sure." I take my cap off and throw her the keys before running towards the passenger side. She looks shocked that I said yes, but quickly makes her way to the drivers side.

We both get inside the car and buckle ourselves up. "Woah!" She exclaims and I look over to her. "Three pedals!" She crus out. "I only have two feet!" She stares down at her legs in shock. My eyebrows furrow. "You can't drive stick?"

"Do I look like I can drive stick, Noah?" She turns the question back, looking at me with eyes wide. I want to tell her that we should switch and I'll drive, but I don't want to ruin her mood. The wheels in my brain are turning as I look out through the window. I let out a sigh, coming up with a plan.

"Okay, I'll switch the gears." I say, putting the hand break down. She raises her eyebrows, all the air leaving her body. "And that third pedal?" She peers at me like I'm crazy. "The clutch? I'll tell you when to push it, keep your right foot on that one."

She looks at me dumbfounded before shrugging it off. She places her foot on the clutch, tightening her grip on the steering wheel. "Wait!" She shouts, digging into her purse, pulling out her phone. She hands it to me and then places a pair of sunglasses on the bridge of her nose.

I stare at her wallpaper which is a picture of her sister and her at Shaziyah's wedding. They smile bright and wide at the camera and I can't help but admire it. "Unlock it and go into my playlist, the password is my birthday."

I press the home button so it opens the keypad which makes me scared. I forgot her birthday. "Yeah, it's... elev-" she glances at me. "Three-"

"It's 2607." She rolls her eyes as I punch in the numbers. "I knew that."

I search through her apps until I find her playlist. "This band is really underground, type in O- N- E," I quickly type in the letters until a whole list of songs under the same name. "One Direction?"

She quickly turns her head to me, shushing me. "I think everyone knows about One Direction, Nida." I bite the corner of my mouth to stifle my smile. "No! I discovered this band!" She waves me away, telling me to play a specific song by them for her called Rock Me. I can't believe I'm allowing her to play this type of music in my car.