Sixty-four | Better Off Dead

The following chapter contains mentions of suicide, which some readers may find disturbing.

Reader discretion is advised.

My next suicide attempt will be my last suicide attempt

My next suicide attempt will be my last suicide attempt. I promise you that. I'm not dead yet even though I feel as though I am. A walking junkie corpse.

It's strange to say that. I've tried killing myself before a few times and none of them worked, clearly. I've overdosed two times and I still haven't died. But the night Arti Singh assaulted me had killed something inside of me.

I didn't sleep the entire night even though I was stuck in bed. Whenever I tried moving, I could feel her presence right behind me, cackling.

I'm terrified that she might do it again. I tried hiding under my sheet as I cried into my pillow for so long that I think I blacked out for a solid minute. That's all the sleep I got.

"Just replace these numbers here with X." I snap out of my thoughts, looking to the side to see Diego trying to tutor Dylan with maths. We're currently in Dylan's house, studying for our final exams that are starting next week.

It's crazy to think about how far we've made it or how far I could've made it. "Of course." Dylan shrugs. "Of course? So what's the problem?" Diego asks causing Dylan to drop his head to the book with a groan. "I don't know." He sobs and Diego gives up.

"Yo, Noah." I hear Diego call and I snap my head towards him. He grabs the textbook away from Dylan, showing me a math equation. "Can you show him how to do this?" He hands me the pencil and I stare at the paper, scratching my face.

The numbers on the paper begin to sink into the book and quickly try blinking it away. When I rub my eyes, the numbers have completely disappeared. "I- I can't." I push the book away, rubbing my eyes even harder.

"Aren't you like the math genius? If you can't do this then we're screwed for our final." Dylan cries out again, dramatically falling to the floor.

My eyes shoot towards the bedroom door opening where Luke walks inside with his earphones in his ears as he bops his head. He holds a bunch of books in his hand, dropping it onto Dylan's bed before jumping on. We all watch him in confusion as he begins flipping through the books.

He quickly notices us, taking out one earphone and raising an eyebrow at us. "What?"

My eyes move up and down his body, taking in his outfit. He's got dark green plaid pyjama pants with a black t-shit that says something not in English and grey sweatshirt. My eyes drift back to his face and he looks a bit different. I can't put my finger on it. "Did you get a new piercing?" Atlas asks, walking over to him.

Luke nods and I scan his face again, not noticing where the piercing is. "See, after everyone left my house, I got really bored because my family is on vacation," he shrugs. "So I decided I wanted to pierce my nose, but I could find my piercing needle so I heated up a safety pin and numbed my nose using ice before I stabbed myself."