Fourty - one | The Bride's Brother

Tonight is the night

Tonight is the night. Well, almost the night. The Sangeet has just ended and it's havoc here in my house.

Everyone in my house is running around to prepare for tomorrow. My sharara pants are still on but my top has been discarded. Instead I have a sweatshirt on.

I'm running between the dining room where my laptop is to do my assignments and the kitchen to help with the desserts my mother was adamant to make. Shaziyah is just as stressed as I am.

Speaking of Shaziyah... we haven't spoken about what happened in her bedroom. After all, I don't care. Her life is her life and my life is my life. If she wants Rahul, but wants to marry Ali, I'll let her do that. There is no tension between us and that's all that matter to me. We've both just cancelled out what happened.

I finish off another paragraph on my assignment before running back to the kitchen.  I see my mother and sister placing the biscuits on a fancy silver tray. My mother notices my presence and smiles. "Please go lay out the bride's jewellery."

"You don't need help here?" I ask them, pointing at the pile of dishes in the sink. "No, we're okay." My sister replies and I quickly get distracted by her mehndi. It's so beautiful and I'm jealous of it. I want to get married and have two arms covered in mehndi. 

As I begin to leave, Rohan walks in as he eats Kaju Katli. "So, what am I wearing tomorrow?" I stop and look at him. "Obviously the Kurta we bought you." I roll my eyes, planning on walking out again when he speaks again. "You guys didn't buy me a Kurta."

My mother pauses and looks at him with fire in her eyes. He's just ruined her good mood. "And you're only speaking now!" My sister yells, rage covering her.

He takes a step back, feeling heat cover the kitchen. "Dad! They're going to kill me!" He screams, but no one responds thus he takes matters into his own hands. "I did tell you guys," he begins to count on his finger. "three months ago, two months ago, one month ago, two weeks ago, last week!" He places his hands on his hips with a huff. "You just didn't listen."

I look over to my mother and sister who's eyes are on my brother and their mouths dropped. It's obvious that we can't have him rewearing one of his Kurta's from the previous nights since people will recognise the brides brothers clothing. "Can you wear something from last year?" My mother asks which gets another huff out of Rohan.

He shows the length of his body. We all know that nothing from last year will fit him considering his growth spurt. Stress takes over me knowing that we can't go to the boutique at this time of the night to buy him something to wear. "At this rate I should marry Ali, I know he won't forget me."

My mother shoots him a look which causes him to take another step back. My mother placed her hand on her forehead. She's visibly stressed out. "Okay," she sighs. "Okay, Nida." I stand up straight, looking at her. "Go upstairs and search through your fathers closet to see if you can find anything he can wear. Hopefully something will fit."