Thirty - seven | Lovely

I feel bad that I'm ruining his moms car seats with my dripping wet hair and sandy feet

I feel bad that I'm ruining his moms car seats with my dripping wet hair and sandy feet. The rain has gotten worst since we finished surfing. We've already strapped the surfboards to the roof and we're driving back to our houses.

The rain patters the car windows as awkwardness takes over the silence. "How about some music?" I suggest, going to push the on button as he screams for me to stop, but it's already too late. A song called 'Crucify Me' begins screaming at me. I can't understand what they're saying, but I'm absolutely terrified. My eyes go over to Noah who is trying to hide from the embarrassment. He's avoiding complete eye contact and keeps his eyes ahead.

My heart hurts a little, seeing that he enjoys this type of music so I lie. "It's a good song." His head shoots to me. "You're lying." He goes to skip the song before I hit his hand away. "You're such a liar." With a swift movement, he skips the song and a very mainstream song begins to play.

"I am lying, but we can listen to-" I pause, trying to recall the name of the band. "Bring me the horizon?" He questions.

"Yeah, we can totally listen to bring me the horizon." His eyes go to me. Big, bold, brown eyes. He tilts his head to the side as if he's telling me he doesn't believe me, but accepts it.

His eyes goes back to the road and the silence consumes us again. It's quiet odd to talk to Noah is such a forced and enclosed space. It doesn't last since Noah finds a way to break the ice. "Did you hear about that old dude who died in a car crash the other day!" My head whips to his in complete shock, obviously recalling when the news was spread.

There was this dude who's name I do not know. He was old like really old when he decided one night he would go for a drive in his Ferrari, but he drove so fast down the freeway that his car skid and crashed, instantly killing him. "Wasn't he in half?" I ask, trying my hardest not to picture how horrific he must have looked.

"Yeah, and he had his seatbelt on." Bile fills my throat, and it burns when I force myself to swallow it down. "Some say he wanted to end his life." Noah says, catching me off guard.

He notices my change in emotion thus he begins to defend his statement. "I mean, the dude lived alone. He had no family, no friends, no one cared for him. Pretty cool to die doing the thing you love."

My eyes widen slightly, my heart pounding in my chest as I hear him go on. "I know I would. Wouldn't you want to die doing something you love?" He asks me and my lips form a line as I try to think of how I'd die. "I don't think I would want to die crocheting and I don't think it's possible."

Noah's laughter fills the air. "It's not impossible." Silence fills the air again. "How was Overdrive?"

I shift in my seat nervously, not forgetting the unsettling feeling that night left me with. I knew what we were doing was illegal and can look so bad on my future records if I got caught, but if I did get caught, my parents wouldn't force me to get with Noah.