Chapter 8 😳

"Hey," Miles says as he stands over me. I am sitting on the couch in the lounge room trying to find the motivation to read The Goldfinch.

"Hey?" I say looking back up at him as I put the book down on a small wooden table beside me.

"Come on, lets go," He says as he puts a hand out for me to use to get up. I grab it and haul myself up from where I was sitting.

"Where are we going?" I ask as Miles and I make our way to the car we had driven here in. Miles doesn't answer.

"Alfie, take us to the town," Miles says, smiling mischievously.

"Please," I finished since I had a feeling Miles just doesn't use manners.

"Of course Master Miles," Alfie nods and starts to drive as we buckle ourselves in.

"So are we going to the beach or getting dinner or something?" I try to guess.

"We just had lunch of course we aren't getting dinner," Miles rolls his eyes. 

"Oh, right," I say.

"Just wait and see," He says mysteriously.

The surprise was watching a movie, I already knew since Flora had let it slip. She said that Miles said he couldn't play with her since he is going to town, she also wouldn't have been able to go with him because of her fear of leaving as well so she didn't ask to join us.

"Miles, I'm gonna be honest...someone may have told me the surprise," I say.

"Yeah I know," Miles replies. Huh?

"I didn't give Flora the right information anyway just in case," Miles smirks. Damn it.

We pull up on the side of the road and Miles and I get out of the car.

"Please pick us up in three hour's Alfie," Miles says looking at me with attitude as he puts unnecessary emphasis on the please. I smile at him sarcastically.

"Thank you Alfie," I say quickly before Miles grabs my arm to get my attention.

"Follow me," Miles orders. I follow him to the end of the street which we then turn right at. Miles finally stops at an abandoned looking building that has a sign reading ICEBOX in bold black text as well as fairy lights that are mostly dead, broken or smashed hung up across the top of the two story building. The building looked hella old but still quite beautiful.

"I know it doesn't look like much but just wait a second," Miles says proudly as we walk inside.

"It still doesn't look like much Miles," I say as I look around the trashed room. Miles opens an oversized fridge which has an out of order sign on it's door. Immediately the room fills with sounds that could come straight from an 80s high school disco. There are many multi-coloured lights flooding around the inside of the dingy concrete staircase that starts at the fridge and leads down into what looks like it could be a massive dance floor. I can hear a large number of people shouting, dancing and singing loudly.

"What is this place?" I ask in awe as Miles leads me down the stairs.

"Quint showed me it. It's called The Icebox, It's where people go to chill and get wasted," Miles says, laughing as someone starts singing very loudly to Material Girl by Madonna, and badly might I add.

"Miles," I grab his arm to get his attention and mostly because this place was mildly worrying.

"I hate to be that person but we are underage, especially me. I'm literally only sixteen," I say nervously looking around.