Chapter 29 🏖️

"Thanks for dropping us off Alfie," I say, smiling at him and glancing behind me at Miles who is standing awkwardly with his hands in his pockets outside, behind me on the pavement whilst I also stand outside the car but lean in, resting my hands on the passenger seat as I thank Alfie who gives me a little "good luck" look. 

On the drive up to the Fairchild Residence, Alfie had suggested to me that Miles and I go to the beach near town for a bit since the weather was said to be nice this weekend and Miles had never really been except for when he was extremely young with his parents. I smile and nod at Alfie as I close the door and step closer to Miles on the pavement. As we look across the road we both notice at the same time that it is extremely busy.

"Jeez, is the whole town here or something?" I say.

"Looks like it," Miles replies, eyeing the people suspiciously.

"You have bathers on?" I ask, looking down at his pants to see if he is wearing swimming trunks, he is.
"Yeah, you?" He asks, noticing me eying his pants and giving me a strange look. It makes sense that it is awkward between us but why does it have to be THIS awkward like I honestly can't tell if it's tension or discomfort when he looks at me for a bit too long.

"Yeah, I also brought a beach bag, it has sunscreen and snacks in it," I state.

"Oh nice, any chips?" Miles asks.

"Of course," I say as we cross the road and head towards the beach. It is not that packed but still too busy for both Miles and I since we both classify ourselves as introverted.

I toss the beach bag at Miles who impressively catches it with one hand whilst staring at the ocean in a bit of a daze, wait nevermind, he is checking some girl out...I'm not jealous but I do wish that girl would drown. Woah intrusive thoughts, dark much? Jeez. I throw a towel at his head. It unbundled and ended up covering his back, chest and head so that he now looks like a kid in a stripey ghost outfit during Halloween. I let out a weird snort of laughter to myself as I set up my towel on the sand and snatched back his towel off his head to set it up next to mine. He glares at me before his jaw drops ever so slightly and his eyes widen, this is because I have just begun to take off my clothes which were covering my bathers. 

Why is he even looking at me like that? It's not like I'm trying hard to look all dreamy like they do in those movies while I take off my casual clothing to reveal my literal only pair of bathers that still fit me...oh wait, I am. I smirk internally before looking behind me and then back at Miles who is still staring me up and down rather unsubtly. Mate, I'm literally wearing a colourful bikini top with swimming trunks that look like they were stolen from a twelve year old boy, how the fuck is he finding this mildly attractive in any way? He turns around and takes off his top slowly with one hand whilst staring at the ocean for real this time since he realized how unsubtle he was being and obviously needed to avert his eyes to somewhere else. I can't help but feel slightly creepy for wanting to see him without a shirt. He throws his shirt onto his towel as every single atom in my body tries to stop me from checking him out. 

I notice suddenly that lots of people entering the water are wading around in the shallow end and looking as if they are absolutely in agony from the cold temperature. There are some kids splashing near some of the adults in the shallow end but most are making sand castles and gathering shells or using buckets to help them build mounds or holes out of sand. Most of the teenagers around are actually kind of unattractive to me since they look like everyone at school would like them, in other words they look popular and I dislike that. Miles is less of a stereotypical looking popular kid, even his personality doesn't instantly shout out "most liked guy at school". So that I don't have to avoid glancing in the direction of Miles, I decide I'm just going to run to the water's edge and dive in when I get deep enough.