Chapter 23 😡

I hear a gentle knocking sound come from outside, I can tell it's not Miles so I ask who it is, thankfully it's Amara. I unlock the door slowly from where I am sitting.

"Girl are you ok, did you talk to him? Was it true?" She asks, gently.

"What do you think?" I chuckle bitterly as I gesture to myself, a soggy, depressed lump of fabric, skin and bones that is somewhat glued to the ground. I don't have the motivation or strength to move so Amara sits down besides me and hugs me tightly, I hug her back.

"Boyfriends are shitty," She says.

"Ex boyfriends," I correct, letting out an empty sounding laugh. 

We spend the rest of our lunch together before I finally get my stuff and head towards my psychology classroom. Shit I forgot that we are doing our presentations next week. I start to panic as I hear a girl mention the Psych oral that is going to drain the remaining life right out of me. I sit down in my seat which is actually conveniently at the opposite side of the room from Miles. I can't believe I told him I loved him, he said it back, surely as someone who lost basically everyone who he trusted and loved he would find it hard to say that to me, surely it wasn't all just manipulation. Surely it didn't mean nothing. My attention slowly drifts away from Miles and to the classwork which I try too hard to focus on.

The class ends after a painstakingly long time which I somehow endured without glancing at Miles once which I am proud of. The bell rings, it sounds like music, actually it doesn't since I have heard it for around five years it honestly sends my heart into a frenzy of ptsd and annoyance. Miles gets up and quickly, along with everyone else, rushes towards the door. As I reach the door and start to walk down the hall, I notice Miles walking in the same direction as me. I am about to confront him after a while when I quickly stop myself, I forgot that our fucking lockers are opposite eachother. I pace quicker so that I can get to the locker quicker so that I can leave even faster. As I over take him I knock into him, obviously on purpose and keep marching forwards. His books fell to the floor and I cringe as I hear Mal run up to him and help. I hear him thank her and see him kiss her cheek as I glance back, anger absolutely overcomes me. I shove my books in my locker and slam it with all of my strength before saying oops as if it was an accident. I storm back off towards Mal and knock into Miles again who has started to finally make his way to his locker.

"Bitch," He mutters coldly as he quickly stops himself from letting his books fall.

"Dick," I mutter back, I know he heard because he rolls his eyes.

"Hey what's going on with you and Miles? You're being so mean to him," Mal asks, confusedly as she walks towards me.

"I hate him," I shrug, I mean it's true.

"Yeah I know that but it's a bit extra to knock into him twice," She says. Oh she didn't just call me extra. I take a breath and don't reply.

"Oh my god, I know what it is!" She exclaims.

"What?" I ask, absentmindedly.

"You're jealous of Miles and I because you like him, OMG I knew it Issy, you could have said something, I'm so sorry," Mal says, grabbing my shoulders.

"Mal," I sigh, I honestly don't know how to break it to her.

"Miles and I have been dating, we broke up...today," I say, struggling to get it out, a lump grows in my throat, tears start to prick at my eyes but I choke them down, not here, not near him.

"Wait WHAT!" Mal exclaims.

"Yeah, I should have told you sooner I just had so much pride," I say, fiddling with my nails as I stare at her.

"Was it because of me, oh my god, no," Mal says, in disbelief, I just nod at her with a weak smile on my face. She runs down the hallway and stops when she gets to Miles who is at his locker, he has been watching us this whole time. I can actually hear what she is saying to him, he honestly doesn't look disappointed, more like annoyed.

"You didn't tell me you were dating someone, I'm sorry but I'm not going to be a second choice. We can't be a thing, choose someone else to suck the life out of and don't hit on any of my friends you disgusting asshole," I hear Mal spit. I am actually kind of emotional that she did that for me considering she has liked him for a million years.

Mal rushes back up to me, slings her arms around my shoulder and steers me to her bedroom.

"Ok, we are having girl time," She says as she whips out a random ass packet containing gel face masks as well as a few bottles of face creams and oils.

"Ok," I chuckle as she throws a little packet which is apparently an avocado and cacao scented face mask at me.

"I really don't know how to use these," I laugh as she casually puts it on her face and smooths it around.

"Just try, it's easy. Instructions are on the back," She says, trying not to move so that it doesn't fall off.

I tear open the package and slip on the mask, it's hella cold and slimy but it kind of feels nice.
"It's literally so wonky," Mal chuckles as she walks me to the mirror in the girls bathrooms so that we can have a look, people look at us weirdly since we are literally walking through the school halls in gel masks. I chuckle as I see how lopsided it is. Mal adjusts it for me before handing me some moisturizing stuff and a little scented oil sachet. As we finish up and head to the bathrooms, I tell her everything, well mostly everything. I told her how Miles and I had kissed in the cabinet, that's about it to be honest. I didn't want anyone to know how close we were. I honestly thought we were in love, which seems so sad and stereotypical of me to think as a stupid teenage girl.

"I knew that crashing sound was more than just you tripping, also I'm so sorry that things ended like that for you guys because of me," She says, looking at me guiltily.

"It's not your fault, I lied and kept the truth and Miles manipulated both of us," I say, patting her hand.

"We sounded like a toxic couple but honestly Mal, I think he was the closest I ever allowed myself to get with a guy, emotionally speaking," I continue.

"That's so cute, I would have been so obsessed with you guys being together If I had of known," She smiles at me and sighs at the possibilities.

"Missed opportunity," I say regretfully, shaking my head and laughing quietly. My heart is honestly broken and talking about it makes me feel even more numb.

It was hours later when I left Mal's room, we had stayed up talking all night. We managed to become very close in such a short amount of time which I am kind of grateful for since I'm unfortunately going through the hardest break up I have ever experienced.