Chapter 5- shopping and meetings

There was only a week left until it was time to go back to school. James and Emily seemed to have smoothed things over. I didn't want to go back to school.

"Hey Reg, you got a letter!" Sirius called up the stairs.

I ran down and grabbed it out of his hand.

'Regulus,

We need to talk in private when we get back to school. I got an offer that if I turn down I don't know what might happen. Evan got one too. Actually let's meet up. I'll meet you at the leaky cauldron tonight at midnight.

Barty'

"Who's it from?" Sirius asked.

"Barty."

"Oh yeah, he's like your best friend isn't he?"

"Yeah."

"So what did he want?"

"Nothing important."

I went back upstairs and just sat in my room. For once I had been happy but the reminder of my real life came and crushed it all.

Why don't you just join? That's what everyone else wants. Nobody cares about you either way. The only reason Sirius asked you to stay is because he thinks it will look good for him. That's not true! Of course it is. Why wouldn't he have taken you before then? Shut up. He knows how useless you are. Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

"Regulus? Are you okay?" I turned around quickly to see Marisa looking concerned.

"I'm fine."

"Well I was wondering if you wanted to go shopping with me." She looked so nervous.

"Why me? Why not one of your friends?" She frowned at that.

"You are my friend."

"I mean one of your other friends." I mean actual friends. She doesn't really want to go with me.

"They all are busy." Of course I was her last option.

"I don't know."

"Please, Mrs Potter said I can't go alone."

"Fine."

She squealed and threw her arms around me. "Really?! Thank you! Thank you!" I chuckled.

"Of course. Go get ready." She skipped out of my room leaving me alone once again.

She doesn't really want to go with you. She just needs you to go. I shook my head trying to get rid of all of these negative thoughts. I pulled on a pair of shoes and a jacket.

Marisa came back into my room wearing a fluffy coat and some snow boots.

"It's freezing out there, you can't wear that!"

"It's fine. I won't get too cold." I protested.

"You'll get sick." She walked over to my closet and once she realized it was empty she turned back around.

"Where are all of your clothes?"

"I didn't have time to pack. I've just been wearing Sirius' clothes."

"That's it. We're getting you some clothes and proper winter wear."

"We don't need to. There's only a week left."

"So?"

"Let's just go." She grabbed my hand and pulled me along through the house. I had to focus on making sure I took steps and breathed. Her holding my hand was messing with my head.

"Where do you think you two are going?" Mrs Potter asked.

"Shopping! You said if one of the boys would go with me."