Chapter 13

Tyra's POV

If I thought Austen created a stir with him arriving at my home, it was actually a calm before the storm. As soon as the school ended, all the members of Super Seven were in my bedroom with equal worry and questions, with 1 question topping it all,

'Where are your parents?" Ryan asks once Violet and Hope are done fussing over me. Looking around the room with all the expectant faces, I went to spout the lie that Austen and I had practiced, but suddenly felt uneasy saying it.

Don't want to lie to them do you?, my subconscious taunts already knowing the answer.

"They are away for work and her aunt is looking after her" Austen replies in my stead and also effectively taking the attention off me. I gave him a grateful nod while his pointed expression back at me says it all - He would demand the answers later.

"Where is she?"'

"And why aren't your parents back since you are sick?" The twins ask the question one after the other.

"Tyra didn't even message us to tell us she is sick, obviously she doesn't like people taking care of her '' Tristan tries to help I think, but there is bitterness in his tone which says otherwise which isn't missed by anyone in the room.

"I am not that..." My excuse is stopped mid sentence when 7 pairs of eyes glare at me, which make me cower into the blanket more.

"Her aunt went to work when I arrived and since Kyra insisted she is feeling better, they decided not to call her parents." Austen rotes out the lie we made up, which I am really grateful for, as nobody questions Austen further and the conversation continues as usual. They have even managed to get all my assignments for the day as well.

Yeah even, they know what a nerd you are, my subconscious speaks up.

"By the way, where are your two new friends?" Tristan speaks with taunt and extra emphasis on the new friends part.

"Yeah I mean, shouldn't they come to meet their sick friend..."

"... and take care of her" Hayden starts and Hunter completes the sentence, their twin telepathy no longer weirding me out.

I see Violet roll her eyes at their childish behavior and I raise my eyebrows at her knowing she was in the same boat till the weekend. Although I would be lying if I denied that a slow warmth spreads within me, seeing them care about me.

"Austen told them there's no need to come" Ryan pipes in the conversation halting all actions around.

What!

We all look at Austen and all he does is simply shrugs his shoulders, and that warmth from before gets replaced by simmering anger.

"Why on earth..." I start to argue with him but his next sentence effectively stops me.

"You want more people to fuss over you?" he says with a single raised eyebrow, aka you want more people to ask you questions.

Understanding dawns on me and all my rage is cooled down, leaving me exhausted. I guess the emotional rollercoaster was too much for my sickness riddle body to handle.

"I think we can leave for her to rest," Violet says, noticing my exhaustion.

"Are you sure you will be alright alone?" Hope asks as they prepare to leave and I really want to facepalm myself for bringing the attention back to the empty house I lived in.

"She won't be alone" Austen adds in for my benefit.

"Yeah her Aunt will be back soon right?' Violet supplements and successfully manages to get the attention away from the topic.

...

When Austen said I wouldn't be alone, I thought it was for my benefit, but apparently I was proved to be very wrong. Less than 30 minutes after everyone departed, Austen returned with an overnight bag.

"Is it really necessary, I always have..." I ask as he makes himself comfortable on the chair and small stool in my room.

"Just because you had to doesn't mean you should." Austen's reply startles me, and I don't know whether the skip of my heart beat was because of his reply or since I forgot to breathe.

"And plus you owe the truth," he adds, which successfully manages to pop my bubble of happiness.

"Is the truth really that important to you?" I ask, trying to get out of the situation any way possible.

It wasn't that I like to lie or that the reality of the situation, of being abandoned twice was too much for me to handle. I was scared of his reaction, their all reactions when they found the truth. The friendship with Super Seven was growing on me, their friendship was honest and without any strings attached and made me feel included, happy.

"It is if it means it affects your well being," Austen's intense reply is enough to break me from my inner monologue. His usual eyes which are blank, hold a tenderness and concern which lands me spilling the whole truth.

...

"Okay let me get this straight, they adopted you and now they don't want to take care of you?" Austen questions once I am done telling him the whole truth. His clenched jaw tensed body reactions tell me he is simmering beneath the surface, and for my sake. I simply nod in return. Which seems to tilt him further towards his raging side, as his fists clench and he starts pacing in my room.

"What about going to child services?" he asks and now my pulses quicken but in fear.

"The Stones don't want me, they will happily let me go. And the foster system..." I start to hyperventilate thinking about it.

Immediately a pair of arms pull me in for a hug and Austen tries to soothe me in his quiet voice possible as my eyes tear up.

"I have thought of all the ways possible but this is my best choice. They may have abandoned me but I have access to the best things and education. I just need to complete my studies, and when I enter college I will be far away from all this," I answer in between my coughs, crying and sneezing. I was a complete mess but Austen continues to placate me.

"Promise me you won't tell this to anyone?" I ask while pulling away from him.

"What? How can you.." he hesitates...

"There's no other way, plus things have worked out fine so far, you are worrying about nothing" I say trying to convince him, which was the truth after all. I hold his gaze unnervingly.

"I promise, you won't have to go through it alone again" he answers.

Whether it's his words or his actions in general today, I sleep with a smile on my face, or at least I try as much as the sneezes would allow me.