Chapter 15

Tyra's POV

"Aww man I am so full" I smack my lips and push my bowl of food away as I soar in my Italian food coma. I had always had an inclination towards Italian food, be it gourmet or soulful homemade like the multiple containers full that Tristan had stocked in my fridge.

"Didn't you like the food?" Tristan questions with a worried look, "You've barely eaten anything" he finishes. His thoughtfulness brings a smile to my face.

"I think if I eat more, I'll get sick" I try to joke but the seriousness on his face lets me know it wasn't appreciated.

While I had succeeded in not letting Tristan take my actual temperature, I failed to hide my general well being for very long. It was enough for him to not call for professional help but not enough that he wouldn't stop worrying.

Once we both are done with our food, Tristan moves to the kitchen to do the dishes. I thought to follow him to give him company, feeling bad that he had to do all the chores, but the few steps to the door of the room, has the room spinning for me. I quickly back track my steps and fall down on the bed to avoid any accidents. Then I silently pray that my heart rate and skin parlor will be as normal as possible before Tristan comes back.

...

"Why have you never dated anyone?" I asked out loud in the middle of the movie that we were both watching, well mostly me only as Tristan was busy on his phone giving hourly updates. I too had tried my best to look better no matter how fatigued it felt on the inside.

Tristan looks up from his phone and raises his eyebrow as if questioning my observation, so I clarify, "I mean you know, you play a sport, you are popular and plus the added bonus of being rich," I rambled on about my observation which now out loud seemed so superficial and shallow.

"Forget I said.."

"Why date when you can have endless available options" he tries to play off but something in his look hits me off.

"You know you can talk to me right?" I try to get him to talk without making him feel pressured.

"I know, but I don't want this darkness to burden anyone," he answers, his eyes already losing that bright spark he had today and going back to darkness they always held.

While all I could do was facepalm at his reason. No doubt he is best friends with Austen, they don't want to burden someone by sharing their burden.

Hypocrite, cough couch, hypocrite, my subconscious pipes up in between fake coughs.

"Oh so you mean to say today was a burden on you" I say, faking a sad expression.

"What, who said..." he stands up in bewilderment.

"If sharing what troubles you would be burdening your friends, then taking care of your sick friend would be the same right?" I innocently answered back, still holding my expression down.

"How is that similar? We care for you..." he starts but stops mid sentence realizing he walked directly into my trap while I smile triumphantly.

"And we care for you too. I understand if you would not be comfortable talking right now but don't ever feel as if you would be burdening me" I firmly end the topic in an open way, leaving it all onto him.

I see a sigh escape from him, in relief or fatigue I don't know, but when he pulls his chair to sit closer to my bed, his next words were something I could have never prepared myself for.

...

"And ever since that day, there has always been a sense of emptiness inside, like a part of me is incomplete," He ends his story, while the stream of tears from my eyes seem never ending. From the start about his mom to this about himself, I never realized the darkness behind those somber eyes was so deep. Some time during the conversation, my hand moved to stroke him in comfort.

"Do you not date because of your mother's.."

"Oh no! I am not ashamed or embarrassed about her mental health" he is quick to refuse my guess, "But how can I be with someone without being able to completely give myself" he answers my original question.

"How is she doing nowadays?" I ask about his mom to try to get to know more about her.

"Somedays are better and some days worse, but today was actually one of the better ones," he suddenly perks up remembering about it. I nudge him to continue with rapt interest as the darkness in his eyes reduces.

"When I said about needing food for a friend who is sick, she almost bounced to the kitchen with her happy valor and got cooking," his eyes continue to sparkle with happiness thinking back to that scene.

"She was even more delighted to cook knowing you love Italian food in all forms," he completes his story and my tears stop as a smile makes its way to my face, his happiness being infectious.

"I guess that's why you weren't with the usual amount of broodiness today" I tease him light heartedly.

"That and spending time with you doesn't make me feel that empty" he replies in all honesty, "I don't know why I feel that connection with you and also equal parts protectiveness as I feel for Angel" he says, confusion and vulnerability both present in equal parts in his expression.

"I agree, you did manage to lift my spirits up whenever I am sad and have stood up for me against Austen as well, always protective like.." I tenderly put out.

"Like an elder brother, like family" he completes for me. I gingerly nod my head and he envelopes me in a warm hug and the tears start afresh.

I had been hurt by my family, both biological and adopted. But I still form this new bond. There's no certainty I won't be hurt but there is defiant trust that he will always be there for me, my chosen family.

The honest conversation in combination with the above realization leaves us both feeling vulnerable and there's no shortage of tears and snotty noses. Which definitely explains the shocked expression on Bella's face when she comes to visit me.