Chapter 14

Tyra's POV

"What are you doing?" Austen's voice startles me as I am getting my clothes ready to go to school. With his stringent medicine schedule and regular cold compress through the night, my body temperature had considerably subsided to being warm and coughing had reduced too.

"Getting clothes" I reply in my but-obvious tone to which he merely raises his one eyebrow.

"To go to school.." I replied to his unspoken question and took in his looks this morning. He seems to have showered and looks fresh but the strain in his eyes is evidence of lack of sleep last night. I notice he is holding a tray in his hands as he enters the room.

"Didn't take you to be one to be cracking jokes" he dryly replies while settling down the tray he was holding and taking my hand and pulling me towards my bed. I try to resist but I am already seeing stars sparkling in my vision and realize fainting wouldn't exactly make a strong case in favor of me going to school, so I comply.

Are you sure that's the only reason?, my subconscious bites back.

"I am not..." I start my defense once I am back on bed but a silent glare from him manages to silence me off.

"You can check the messages in the group" he nonchalantly replies while going to get the tray back and settling it near my bedside table.

Confused at his cryptic statement, I opened my phone to check my messages. There were quite a few asking about my absence yesterday. I mentally make a note to reply to Bella and Wren soon, before jumping to our group chat, which was active the moment they left from here last night.

Violet - @Tyra Don't even think about coming to school tomorrow.

Hunter - What if she does?

Hayden - What will you do

Ryan - Stop egging her on you two. @Tyra Please stay at home and rest.

Next there were a bunch of emojis and gifs bombarded by the twins and their antiques manage to make a small smile make it way on my lips before I realize the predicament I am in.

"I really feel..." I start by making my best puppy face to get my way with Austen as I know only he could convince everyone else too but he impassively glares at me while leaning near the door with my medicines in his hand. I huff in defeat and go to lick my wounds in silence under my comforter when the sound of a car being pulled in my driveway puts my body in alert mode.

"Tristen's here" Austen replies and goes to collect his bag and finish packing his stuff.

"Umm why is he here?" I question at a loss of words as he makes his way out of my room.

"You read the group chat right?" he answered, turning back.

"Ah.." I try to fumble around for an answer.

"You stopped reading after the twins spammed the chat, didn't you?" he concludes and I smile sheepishly at him at his correct guess. He leaves my room with a light shake of his head and goes to open the door for Tristan.

"I keep telling them not to.." I hear Austen mumble to himself as he leaves.

I quickly scan through the remainder of the group chat to summarize that they had decided to take turns being with me during the day while 'my aunt' went to work. My eyes almost glass up at their efforts but I quickly wipe my eyes clean as I hear the footsteps on the stairs as the boys make their way to my room.

"Hey cara, how are you feeling today?" Tristan asks as soon as he enters my room. His hand immediately goes to my forehead and I instinctively pull back, not wanting to give away more than necessary.

"The temperature has reduced" Austen supplements and manages to save me.

"What are you doing here, it's my turn this morning right?" Tristan asks in confusion to Austen while the colour on my face falls for reasons not being related to my sickness. I look frantically at Austen but he is back to his blank stone face.

"Just came in when her aunt left to assure her we will take care of her" he smoothly lies and the air that I am not aware I was holding, leaves my lungs in whoosh causing me to cough. I see both of their bodies coil into alert position, to help me, but I simply shoosh them away with my hand and pick up the glass of water next to me.

"Well okay then. I'll be back in a few minutes after putting the food away in the fridge" Tristan tells me, moving away from me.

"Umm food?" I ask as confusion settles down for the 2nd time today.

"Oh yeah, Austen called last night. He said you Aunt isn't much of a cook and obviously you cannot survive on ready to eat food to get better" he replies looking pointedly at the soup in the tray on my bedside table. I nod in acknowledgement and silently observe Austen's ears turning a slight pink.

As Tristan goes off to the kitchen, next Austen just nods his head, his signature goodbye as he is prepares to leave.

"Thanks" I blurted, realizing how he thought about it all and managed to do everything without letting my secret out. He turns towards me again and sits down on my bed with his patent blank look but the look in his eyes has a soft edge.

"I really mean it. Thank you Austen" I say trying to put all as much earnestly in it as possible.

"I am just keeping my promise" He speaks as he lightly pats my head before leaving for school.