Chapter 18: Win Lose or Nomura

Jim: "Phew, okay. We're just average teenagers after an average teenage day." Jim explains to you while standing in front of his house.

You nod, hearing crickets chirp outside, the darkness engulfing you and Jim.

Jim looks at his amulet again, then drops it in his bag.

Y/N: "Okay, let's do this."

Jim nods as he heads into his house, holding the door open for you.

Jim: "Hey, mom, I'm home! I'm with Y/N, and we're just going to head upstairs to get a jump on homework!"

Jim rests his bag at the foot of the stairs upon the large piece of the railing as a hand waves out from the corner, Jim tiredly pressing his forehead to his arm.

You drop your small backpack next to the railing as Barbara speaks up.

Barbara: "In here. Guess who brought tea?"

Jim: "Oh, not Strickler again." Jim mumbles as you and his head to the dining room.

But as the two of you slowed down, you spotted not only his mother but Nomura and...

Y/N: "Oh, hey, grandpa..."

Jim gasped as the Changeling eyed him hungrily with a grin, while you gulped as you locked eyes with your grandfather.

Grandpa: "Don't you two have something to say to Ms. Nomura?"

Jim: "Y-Yes, sir!"

Y/N: "We're sorry, Ms. Nomura. We should have never gone into the museum in the first place. It's an unforgivable offense, and we deeply apologize."

Barbara: "That's more like it."

Jim: "...But not as sorry as you're going to be for coming into my home with my mother and Y/N's grandpa. So, you'd better leave now, or else we'll all be sorry."

Jim had made his way to his mother's side as he spoke, Nomura smirking as if she was waiting for something.

Your foot tapped impatiently against the ground as you waited for a brawl to commence.

Barbara: "Jim! She's our guest. What's gotten into you?" Her words died off as her head dropped on the table, no longer conscious.

Jim: "Mom!"

Your eyes instantly dart to your grandpa, who falls face first on the table, no longer conscious as well.

Y/N: "Grandpa!"

Nomura clicks her tongue and takes a sip of her tea before she stands and pursues you and Jim, the two of you instinctively backing up.

Nomura: "That speech was very moving. Too bad they won't remember it when they wake up and find your bodies!"

Jim takes off to his bag, almost making it, but Nomura grabs his collar, throwing him into the kitchen, his body slamming into the counters.

You use this opportunity to bolt to your backpack, but Nomura's superhuman agility stops you from doing so as she dives for your leg, making you fall.

Now, she uses her superhuman strength to hurl you into the kitchen, all while she is still in her human form.

You crash into Jim and land on top of him, groaning.

Jim shoves you off him and darts to the kitchen counter for some knives, only to find them missing.

Nomura: "Looking for these?"

Passing the door frame, Nomura was no longer in her human state as she turned into her troll physique. The knives Jim had been looking for were placed between each of her fingers before she released them, all aiming at you and Jim.