Chapter 28: Claire, Welcome to Trollmarket

The stillness of the deserted Arcadia street was interrupted by the rapid footsteps of Toby as he burst from behind a parked car, gasping for breath. Not too far off, the dim glow of a car's headlights pierced the night. Inside the vehicle, a man was busy tossing newspapers onto driveways, his eyes heavy with fatigue.

Distracted, the man didn't notice Toby as he darted across the road. The tires screeched, narrowly avoiding a collision. Taken off guard, Toby rolled over the car's hood, exclaiming, "Holy moly!"

The bewildered driver stepped out, examining his smoking hood. "What the heck was that?" Seamus muttered.

However, Toby didn't stick around to answer. He mumbled, "Why'd you have to race something with four legs, Tobes?" Spotting a tall wooden fence ahead, he attempted to climb it. "I can do this!" Toby grunted. His efforts were in vain as the fence gave way beneath him, sending him crashing to the ground. "Whoa!"

From the shadows, a fiery creature approached, its menacing presence growing ever nearer. At that very moment, Jim pulled up beside Toby on his Vespa. "Hop on!" he shouted.

Scrambling onto the Vespa, Toby urged, "Go, go, go!"

Trying to lighten the mood, Jim said, "Adios, fire cat." But his Vespa refused to cooperate, remaining stubbornly still. "Maybe save the jokes for when we aren't gonna die!" Toby exclaimed in a panic.

The fiery creature drew closer. "Come on!" Jim urged his Vespa. With a triumphant roar, the Vespa sprang to life, whisking them away from danger. Toby, clinging tightly to Jim, shouted for him to speed up. With a determined push on the accelerator, Jim heeded his friend's advice.

Jim shook his head, disbelief evident in his voice, "You took that rock to your science class? Seriously?"

Toby defended, "It's not just any rock. It's volcanic slag! And how was I supposed to know a monster was hiding in it?"

Raising an eyebrow, Jim retorted, "You got a 'magical' rock from a troll you said was named Mervin the Monster Dealer." He exaggerated the air quotes around the name. "What were you expecting?"

As they continued to banter, they rounded a corner and skidded into an alley. Lurking in the shadows were their allies, Blinky and Aaarrrgghh.

Spotting them, Jim called out, "Blinky, tell me you've got a plan!" He took off his helmet, hurrying over.

Blinky nodded with assurance, "Indeed, Master Jim. The luminaire has walked right into our trap."

Aaarrrgghh, puzzled, picked up something from Blinky's belt, "Stra-ta-gem?" He sniffed it distastefully and discarded it.

Blinky clarified, "It's another word for a brilliant trap."

Before they could further discuss the trap, the Fire Cat, or Luminarie, had them cornered. Jim and Toby took cover behind Aaarrrgghh, who stood firm against the threat.