Chapter 20: To Catch a Changeling

Hey everyone! I want to say thank you so much for 50k reads. It's honestly bizarre, especially considering that we're halfway to the ultimate goal.

So here is a double publish by yours indeed.

One thing I'll say is I've finally started typing out Aaarrrgghh's name, so there's that.

So, please vote and comment, as your votes and comments not only help the story gain more reads but also motivate me greatly.

And lastly, as a heads up, I'll be publishing a tips and tricks book on how to write male readers once I hit 1000 followers.

With all that out, thank you again and enjoy the chapter!

.

.

.

The sword of Daylight is held straight; its clear, shiny coat reflects the image of a wooden fence as Jim's broad shoulders are behind it. With a smile, he flicks the sword, the metal becoming thinner as it shows each side of his face.

Next to him was Y/N, dusking his blade, the group dubbed Dusk, as a relaxed expression plastered on his face.

Toby: "Y'know, Y/N, for you to be Jim's "shadow" and all... You having a katana seems... Out of place, don't you think?"

Y/N: "Sure." Y/N nonchalantly responds.

Toby clears his throat and grunts, feeling awkward at his failed attempt to start a conversation with Y/N.

Jim: "All right, give us your worst!" Jim shouts as he and Y/N stand fighting while Toby prepares to throw two watermelons.

Toby: "Ha!" Toby first hurls a melon at Jim as the melon twists in the air, finding Jim's blade. Jim perfectly cuts through the rounded object, a blue glow emitted from between the slices, letting each piece splinter, leaving no remains as it popped.

Jim couldn't help but smile at the sight as he raised his sword triumphantly.

Toby: "Your turn, Dusk!" Toby launches the last watermelon at Y/N, who patiently waits for the melon to descend to the level of his blade.

With a quick thrust of his dominant hand, Y/N slices the melon in half with ease.

On the contrary, the melon emitted a red glow between the slices as they disintegrated in what appeared to be a darker magic.

Jim: "Whoo-hoo!"

Toby: "They slice!"

Jim: "They dice!"

Toby: "That was awesome!"

Jim picks up a bag of tacos with the tip of his sword and lets the bag slide down his smooth blade as he catches it with his other hand. He sets his sword into the dirt patch and pulls out a taco, biting into it.

Jim: "All right, what else you got?" Jim wonders as Toby shoves a taco into his mouth before grabbing a stack of magazines.

Y/N slowly walks over to Jim, who hands him a taco.

Toby: "Mmm... You know, we probably should recycle these... On the other hand, shredding them is more fun! It's less environmentally conscious but more fun!"

Jim finishes his taco and quickly grabs his sword as Y/N sits on the grass, spectating.

Jim: "Pull!" Jim yells excitedly.

Toby spins and lets go of the stack of plastic-like paper as he falls back with a thud, watching the target flying through the air and straight for Jim.