Chapter 22: Jim's Bittersweet Sixteen

"Psst! Y/N!" A feminine voice calls to you, making you slowly awaken from your slumber.

Your head gradually shifts to the guest room door, only to see Barbara.

Y/N: "Barbara? What... What's going on?"

Barbara: "Today's a special day, Y/N."

You slowly sit up and rub your eyes, retracing your foggy mind due to just waking up.

Y/N: "...It's Jim's birthday."

Barbara chuckles, almost with approval. "Yeah, it is..." Barbara trails off. "You're a good friend, y'know, to him. Remembering his birthday and all... You're like a brother he's never had."

Y/N: "...I could say the same about him, Barbara."

Barbara smiles. "I'm glad. Now wake up, please, and help me in the kitchen."

Y/N: "Okay."

Barbara finishes with one more smile before she leaves you alone in the guest room.

Without hesitation, you get up from your bed and enter the bathroom.

You clean yourself up by brushing your teeth, washing your face, etc., before you head back to your room, enter the closet, and put on your signature clothing.

Before heading downstairs, you peeked into Jim's room to see that he was still sleeping. However, he appeared to be rolling around in discomfort.

"He must be having a bad dream." You think to yourself.

Not knowing what else to do, you head downstairs and to the kitchen to see Barbara mixing what appears to be pancake mix inside a large metal bowl.

Before you approached her, however, you received a text from Toby.

You open your phone and read it.

Toby: "Y/N, I've got a surprise for Jim's birthday; head to Trollmarket ASAP!!"

Y/N: "Okay, I'll be there soon."

Toby sends you a thumbs up as you put your phone back in your pocket and head over to Barbara.

Barbara: "There you are-! Can you taste the batter for me?"

You nod as you grab a spoon and take a small scoop of the pancake mix.

You taste the spoonful and instantly gag as your face scrunches up.

Barbara: "Man, I suck at this. You don't like it, do you?"

You look at the counter, specifically the "sugar," as you grab the bag, only to see that it is salt.

You chuckle. "You used salt instead of sugar, Barbara."

Barbara sighs and brings a palm to her head, but you reassure her quickly.

Y/N: "That's why I'm here; let's start a new batch." You say as you begin to grab the proper necessities for some pancakes.

After a few minutes, Barbara looks at you longingly.

Barbara: "Hey, kid... How're you making out?"

You look back at her, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

Barbara: "I know I'm not the best at... Sticking around. Especially after everything that's happened. I want you to know that-"

Y/N: "It's okay, Barbara. I'm grateful for you and am doing much better."

Barbara smiles from ear to ear.

Barbara: "Great. That's good to know."

After you finished the pancakes, you plated them while Barbara stuck some candles in them.