Chapter 5

HIDAYA

Yaya drops me off in front of Zahra's house but he stops me before I get out.

"Call her and confirm if this is the right house. Am not leaving you here just like that." He says in his big brother tone. I dial her number and she picks up after the first ring.

"Hey, I just wanted to confirm if I'm at the right house. It's a black gate with blue painting." I say.

"Yeah you're at the right place." She replies.

"Okay then" I say

"Come inside. I've already told the guards that you'll be here so it won't be a problem." She says and ends the call before I could say anything else.

"Ooookay...." I say to myself.

"So..?" Yaya says.

"Oh we're here. It's the right house. Am gonna go in now." I say picking up my bag.

"Alright then, call me when you're done and I'll come get you." He says and I say okay.

"Drive safe, bye" I say as he drives off.

For some reason I'm very nervous and my hands are sweaty. I look at the house again. The gate was very big but there was no door on it. The only door I could see was by the side and it was a normal sized one. I take a deep breath and manage to walk inside through the small door. The entrance was narrow and too long. It honestly looked kind of eery and creepy. But maybe it's because I'm already nervous and my brain is playing games with me.

I was halfway through and contemplating on turning back when a guy walks out of nowhere. He pauses to look at me for a second before talking.

"Are you lost ma'am?" He asked.

"No...I'm...uh...I'm Zahra's friend...well classmate, study partner." I say stuttering. Why am I stuttering? I don't stutter.

"Oh, she's expecting you. She told me to escort you to the garden. Please come with me." He says.

I sigh in relief and follow him. The house comes into view as we walk further inside. It's beautiful Masha Allah, there's a big balcony right above the main entrance. And big windows too. There were plants all around, some dead and some alive. The house was beautiful but gave off this weird vibe. I had goosebumps all over me as if someone was staring at me. I look around but see no one. I walk faster to catch up with the guy escorting me.

"Get it together Hidaya" I tell myself. Just then someone walks to us. I could've sworn he came out of nowhere too. How did he get so close to us without me seeing him?

"Mas'ud who is this fine lady?" He says looking at me with a smile that gave me chills.

"Sir this is miss Zahra's friend. I was just escorting her to the garden." The guard says to the creepy dude am assuming is related to Zahra.

"That won't be necessary, I'll escort her. You can get back to work." He says without breaking eye contact with me.

It must have been the look of disgust and disbelief on my face because he looked away for a moment and looked right back at me. He was looking at me from head to toe. It made me so uncomfortable so I decided to speak.

"Um..do you mind please showing me where she is?" I say with some courage even though my voice was shaking a bit.

"Yeah, sure. Am Jamil, Zahra's brother" he says and offers a handshake.

I looked at his hand in disbelief and disgust before saying "Am just gonna call her, am sure she'll come get me so don't....." I get interrupted before I could finish.

"HEY!!! Hidaya." Zahra says and almost pounces on me, enveloping me in a hug.

"Hey, how are you?" I say and hug her back.

"I was starting to think you got lost so I came to get you." She says finally letting go.

She looks at her brother "what are you doing here?" She asks.

"I was about to lead her to you but then you came." He says still looking at me.

"Oh well, thank you." She says to him "let's go! I can't wait to show you around" she says excitedly doing a little jump and pulls me with her. I could feel Jamil's eyes on me even as we walked away. What a weirdo.

We walk around the house and she shows me around. I wasn't really paying attention until we went inside. We meet her mom and dad sitting in the living room watching the afternoon news. I greet them and we go to her room and pick up a few books before going back to the garden. She preferred studying there and honestly am not complaining. It's beautiful and spacious and there were beautiful flowers all around.

There was a huge blanket that she laid out and a few snack on it with some drinks. The cool breeze made studying very easy and fun too.

We were done in no time and Ya Hafiz came to pick me up. She walked me to the car and we said goodbye.

"How was it?" Yaya asked.

"It was honestly fun! Their house is so beautiful and the garden? Absolutely beautiful!" I say.

Yaya smiles before saying "am glad you're finally excited about something! You're usually always by yourself but am glad you're giving friendship a chance."

I smile but don't say anything. I'm glad too. I didn't know friendship could be fun like this. I mean I always saw it in movies and all but I didn't know it was really like this. But I don't wanna speak too soon, we'll see how it goes.

"I forgot to tell you, mama and Yusra are at my place so we're going there now. I'll take you all home after we pray Isha insha Allah." He says.

"Ooh I haven't seen Adda Fatima since last week!" I say excitedly.

She is one of the nicest people I know. She's so kind and down to earth. Not to mention very pretty. Upon arriving at the house, we're greeted by a very pregnant Adda Fatima. She's 8 months along but still looks gorgeous.

She somewhat waddles to me and wraps me in a hug. We sit in the living room where we have some tea and biscuits. We talk about nothing and everything before praying and Yaya takes us home.

————————————————————————