Chapter 13

HIDAYA

" So what do you think?" Yaya asks mama and I.

What do I even say? Sure he's nice but why would he want to drive me full time? I barely even know him. We both look at mama when I don't say anything.

"That's a good idea but did you discuss the payment yet?" Mama asks.

"No, not yet." Yaya says. "But I'm sure it's nothing I can't afford". He adds.

"I hope so because I don't want you to keep burdening yourself with all these extra things." Mama says and I nod in agreement, yaya is already doing so much for us.

"It's okay mama, if it's too expensive I'll decline." He says.

" How about you meet up with him first? Observe his manners and interview him." Mama suggests.

"Yeah I was planning on meeting him after I leave here, I've already messaged him." Yaya says checking his wrist watch.

"Okay then, but Hidaya what do you think? After all you're the only one who knows him here so what do you think of him?" She asks and they both look at me waiting for an answer.

"He seems nice and I don't think there's anything wrong with him actually." I say fiddling with my phone.

"And his driving?" Yaya asks.

"It's really okay, not rough or anything." I say honestly.

"Great, I'll meet him and get back to you all in an hour or two." He gets up from his seat.

"Alright drive safe." Mama says and he leaves.

________________________________

ZIYAD

I throw on my light blue shirt and fix my wrist watch before heading out. Hafiz wanted to see me and go through a few things, I didn't know what exactly but it made complete sense. I would also do the same for Noor.

I pull up in front of a grey and black house with beautiful flowers surrounding it. According to my google map, I have reached my destination. I call him and he doesn't answer rather he walks out of the house. That was the first time I actually saw him. He looked a lot like Hidaya, just more sharp. The caramel skin, deep brown eyes, the nose, pretty much her twin.

He jogs to the car and gets in saying a salaam to which I answer.

"So I finally meet the Ziyad, how are you brother?" He offers a handshake with a smile.

"Yaya, am good alhamdulillah." I shake his hand. Now why did I call him yaya? I have no idea.

"Okay then,sooo..." he trails off "...take me to your favorite restaurant." He says casually.

Now of course I knew why he'd ask that, either he wanted to get to know me or he wanted to see my driving skills which in this case I'd say both.

I nod with a smile and drive like I normally do. I shouldn't have to fake being a good driver, i want to get the job because I deserve it.

"So what do you do apart from Uber?" He starts a conversation.

"My cousin and I own a boutique around Ibrahim avenue." I say.

"Anything else?" He asks.

"Uh yeah I also work at the Aztec group company. I'm the junior manager at the brach office that's here in Kano." I reply.

"Really?" He asks with raised eyebrows and I nod.

"But how does a manager have enough time to Uber?" He asks and my heart slows.

"There was an incident at the office that lead to EFCC investigation so we got laid off until investigations are over." I say.

"Subhanallah that's terrible, I'm so sorry." He says.

"Khayr insha Allah." I smile.

"So where do you live?" He asks looking out the window.

"About 10 minutes from here, the house is right around the corner from the Ivory mall." I say.

"Masha Allah. Are you married? I hope you don't mind me asking these questions." He says and I laugh a bit.

"Not at all wallah, I would do the same. And no I'm not married. It's just me and my mom, my dad died a few years ago. I have a younger sister, Noor, she's married with a kid." I say.

"May Allah have mercy on your dad, I'm really sorry." He says.

"Ameen Ameen ya rabb." I reply and there's a little bit of silence before he says.

"Our father also died about 3 years ago. So it's just Mama, Hidaya, Yusra and I. I don't know if she told you but I'm married alhamdulillah with a kid on the way." He says with a proud smile.

"Masha Allah that's amazing! Am really happy for you brother. May Allah bless your family." I say with a huge smile.

"I appreciate it, thank you." He says with the same energy and smile.

We reach the restaurant and I park.

"Ziyad" he calls this time with a serious tone.

"Yeah?" I answer.

"You have a sister too so I'm sure you can understand what I'm about to say. Hidaya is very special to me and I would not want anything or anyone to hurt her. If you know you have any ill intentions, now is the time to walk away unscathed. Because if you ever hurt her in any way possible, you'll hate me."

He pulls out his wallet and flashes me his ID card.

'Superintendent Hafiz Isma'il' it read.

"Sir, I want you to know that I would never even think of hurting Hidaya. If not for anything then for the fear of Allah. If I hurt her Allah wont forgive me. So I want you to please remember this, I'll never hurt her." I say looking at him so he sees how serious I am and how much I mean every word I say.

"You better not. Let's go get some food." He says and opens his door casually as if he didn't just flash me his police ID.

I never thought he was a police officer, could never tell. I'm glad he asked all those questions though. I just hope he believes and knows I would never hurt her.