Chapter 26

Hidaya

"Ahhh I can't believe we're done! Like we're really really done! I'm gonna switch my phone off for two good weeks! I'm gonna sleeep, I'm gonna binge watch series...ahhhh I'm so excited." Zahra clapped and exclaimed as we drove out of our department.

"I honestly can't believe it too like...this is it!" I try to match her energy as I look out the window examining the environment that I painted out to be a prison for 5 years of my life.

"You know at first I thought I wanted to be an independent baddie, but after all these years I'm ready to be an Oga wife! I can't survive a 9 to 5." She grips the steering wheel and we both laugh.

"Honestly working is not for the weak because imagine leaving your home as early as 7 and for 5 days a week!!" I exclaim and she laughs.

"We shall find ourselves some ogas so we can all live peacefully abeg." She waves her hand in the air making me laugh.

"Well alhamdulillah it's finally over." I say and we both sigh. A sigh of relief.

My phone vibrates and I check. The notification bar lights up and I see it was a message from Ziyad, i hiss by reflex putting the phone down and turn my face towards the window.

"What's up?" Zahra glances at me focusing back on the road.

"It's nothing...just spam." I shrug.

"You sure?" Her eyebrows go up and I sigh in defeat.

"It's Ziyad, he messaged..." I pause thinking if I should really tell her. I didn't want her to think I was some desperate chick offering herself to a guy telling him she loves him and then him ghosting her for weeks. "...he um...I think his account got hacked or something...I keep getting ads sent from him.." I mentally facepalm. I am definitely not a good liar.

"Just block the number then or call him and ask whassup." She suggests.

"Yeah I guess I'll do that." I fake a smile hoping she'll drop the conversation.

"But wait...." My heart glitches thinking she figured out I was lying "...you said his account got hacked, you have his Instagram?"

"No, not really...it's his.....messenger?" I say unsure of the lie.

"Sweet! We should definitely stalk his account." Her face lights up.

"Ha! Lovely idea." I say sarcastically.

My curiosity gets the best of me and I open the message.

"I'm sorry"

That was all it read, nothing more. I put the phone down and zone out looking at the sky, I didn't know how to feel or what to feel.
My heart stung with pain.

________________________________

Ziyad

"I need you to call your friend, the event planner and tell him we need an mc. A female mc to be precise." Amma says and I nod in response.

The date for Mubarak and Nafisa's wedding hasn't even been set yet but everyone has been going up and about, prepping for the events. I on the other hand have been doing my best to help but also to avoid Mubarak. I've been ignoring his calls and I haven't even been showing up for our hang outs.

"Are you okay?" Amma brings me out of my trance.

"Yeah...of course I am." I puff a fake laugh. "I'm gonna go out, I'll meet up with the event planners and be back in an hour or two insha Allah." I get up grabbing my car keys from the coffee table and head out.

Upon getting into the car, my phone beeps and I check. 'Call me when you get this' I see Mubarak's message. I toss the phone onto the passenger seat,put the car in reverse and drive out of the house.

I couldn't be openly honest with anyone but I could be honest with myself. I mean...even if I was to tell someone what would it be? A girl I loved told me she loved me and I ghosted her? I was hurting, I knew I was hurting. I miss her so much it hurts. Being with her gave me a unique feeling, peace, it made me be even happier with the things I normally do. Before her, all I did was wake up, go to work, gym, run errands and come home. But with her it gave all these things more meaning, it made them better. Now she's gone....

She's not gone, you pushed her away.

My brain reminds me. I did push her away and now I hate myself for it. I just wish things didn't have to be this way.

    I didn't even know where to go, I had limited options. Either go to my usual hang out spots with Mubarak but then I'd have to meet him and talk about things. He's the only person apart from Amma that can tell when I'm going through something without even saying anything. Or I could go to the gym. Without hesitation, I head to the gym. My vision starts to blur a bit as I haven't been eating well. I adjust my posture and strap on my seat belt.

Immediately after parking, I rummage through my bag for a protein bar and I find one that I ate half of. I eat it and wait in the car for my energy to boost up a little before exiting. I lock the car and head to the gym bar where I buy a protein shake and more protein bars before leaving for the back room.
    I was halfway through my bicep sets when I heard talking behind me but I ignore and continue. I catch a glimpse of someone that looked like Mubarak and I do a double take, it was him. Frustrated, angry, he stood in front of me but his eyes sort of softened as I looked at him. He talked but I couldn't hear him because of the noise and loud music.

"What?" I put down the dumbbells and take of my headphones.

"Where have you been?" He yells.

"Let's go outside." I stand up and he follows me to the locker rooms.

"Ziyad where the hell have you been? You've been avoiding me for over a week and you won't return my calls." He complains as I rummage through my locker, picking out my shower gel and a towel.

"Oh I'm sorry, you want me to buy you flowers and take you out on a date too? Maybe send you morning messages and cute stickers?" I mock him.

"What....what the hell is wrong with you?" His tone rises anger evident in his voice.

"Look, I've been busy! Okay? I have a life so please leave me alone." I slam the locker door and leave to take a shower. He didn't say anything, he just stood there in disbelief.

________________________________

I walk out the gym feeling even weaker than I did earlier. Which is normal considering you workout at the gym but in my case I've been working out on empty stomach with nothing but protein bars and shakes. My stomach rumbles painfully reminding me of how hungry I am, I get to my car and see Mubarak leaning against the door. He was talking on the phone but his smile disappears when he sees me. I frown with a sigh and look away.

"I'll call you back." He puts his phone down.

"Oh God, not again" I massage my temple feeling dizzy.

" You look like shit and you're acting like a woman on menopause, what the heck is wrong with you." He pushes himself off the car and stands upright.

"Thanks for the compliment." I scoff. "Now let me get to the car please, I don't feel too good." I press on the keys and the car beeps.

"I'm not moving an inch until you tell me why you're acting like a jerk." He warns.

"Bro please...." I take a step forward feeling even dizzier, my stomach churning "I cant talk about this right now I've got things to get to."

"Are you okay? You look pale." He steps towards me his tone replaced with concern.

"I can't tal....." my speech slurs and I feel myself collapse.

Everything goes black and I hear Mubarak talking distantly trying to wake me up.