Chapter 8

ZIYAD

"Thank you, have a nice day!" I say after ha takes his change.

Today isn't so bad after all. That was my second customer of the day. I put the money in the elbow compartment before accepting another request.

Within a few minutes I arrived at the pickup location. I wait in the car humming and tapping the steering wheel. I pickup my phone to check a few messages and just then someone tumbles into the car.

"Hiiiiiiii...." A female voice came,her words a bit slurry. My neck almost snaps in the direction it came and I see two girls, the one i assume talked didn't look good. She was slumped in the back seat half asleep or maybe drunk. The other one enters from the other door by my side"

"Tina please calm down, sit well and put on your seatbelt." The other girl tries to push her up while getting in.

I look forward and don't bother looking at them again, I start driving.

Not two minutes into the drive, am already annoyed. She was throwing her hands all around like a kid. I ignore and focus on driving.

I try to focus on the map but the Tina girl was making it difficult. She was so loud for no reason saying ridiculous things. As if she could read my thoughts, she looked into the rear view mirror straight into my eyes.

She pushes herself up with her head right beside my shoulder. "You're too hot to be a driver." She says with a smile.

"Ma'am can you please talk to your friend?" I say firmly in a stern tone.
"Tina, what is wrong with you?" She pulls her back.

Tina pushes her friend away and reaches out to touch me. That's when I lost it, I park the car by the side of the street and get out. The friend immediately follows.

I bring out my phone and instantly call them another Uber.

"Am so sorry sir, I don't know what is wrong with her. Please don't leave us here." She begs.

"Ma'am listen I'm Muslim, I can't have you guys like this in my car especially with her trying to touch me. And no I'm not leaving you here, I just called you another Uber." I say in a tone that leaves no room for an argument.

Soon the Uber arrives and she drags her almost unconscious friend into the other car. I watch them drive away before getting back into my car. I immediately take it to the car wash. I don't know if she spilled whatever she drank in my car, I can't risk driving around like that.

I leave the car there and go to Mubarak's house which is right across the car wash. Upon entering I meet his mom and a few guests I'm guessing she was walking them out.

"Aunty Ina wuni, Ina wuninku." I squat down greeting them all and they answer in unison.

"Muhammad how are you?" She asks to which I say "alhamdulillah". We exchange more greetings and I walk inside.

I go to Mubarak's room and find him there eating. I drop myself on his bed and heave a huge sigh.

"I'm never picking up girls again!" I say covering my face with both hands.

Mubarak drops his spoon and it makes a sound making me look at him, he puts a hand to his chest feigning being hurt "what happened to hello? How are you? What's your name?" He says in an "offended" voice.

I look at him with a seriously face. And he laughs.

"What's wrong?" He takes another bite.

I narrate what happened while grabbing water from his mini fridge. I lean on the wall for supper before opening the water bottle.

"...now the car is across the street getting washed." I sit before taking a sip.

"Well...it would be a good idea to avoid ladies but the thing is they're actually the ones who need ubers the most." He scoops more food.

"Oh yeah? How?" I ask.

"There are students? Duh! Ladies that need medical attention!" He exclaims.

I press my lips together in a flat line. "You're right" I admit. "..but no more non Muslims!" I quickly say.

"Honey that's offansive!" He gasps loudly making us both laugh.

"Anyways, I'm taking the day off tomorrow to relax. When is your next day off?" I ask grabbing the remote.

"I have all night today and all day tomorrow." He drops his spoon.

"That's cool, we can go out and just hang out" I shrug turning on the tv.

"Dude, you better figure something out because I'm not gonna waste my day off "hanging out"". He said making air quotes with his fingers and laugh.

"Let's watch something abeg, we can figure something out later". I dismiss the conversation going through the list of movies available on Netflix.