Chapter 20

Ziyad

"Okay okay! Milkshake or smoothies?" Hidaya asks as she stares into my soul waiting for an answer.

"What normal person would pick milkshakes over smoothies?" I shrug with a smirk and her jaw drops in shock.

"Me! I love milkshakes! Anytime anywhere!" She exclaims making us both laugh.

"Fine..." I say "...water or juice?"

She blankly looks at me as if she couldn't believe what I had asked. "You know what, just leave the questioning to me. Cats or dogs?" She asks.

"Cats!" I say without hesitation.

"Why do I feel like there's a 'but' coming?" She questioned squinting her eyes.

"....but..." I pause and she starts laughing "....I don't really like them that much. I mean yeah they're cute but only from afar." I admit.

Silence. More silence.

"You know what....I take it back...I love cats." I stutter.

"You better." She threatens giggling a bit.

She looks down at her book and here I was still looking at her. The sound of her laughter had become a part of my heart, I try to crack a joke here and there just to hear it. It has a calming effect on me for some reason, and her eyes when she smiles...they radiate! Her face glitters! And it's the most beautiful sight ever.

"I'm gonna leave you to study some more okay?" I say getting up from the seat just in time before my phone beams with an incoming message. I check the message and my smile drops. It was an email from the EFCC.

I stroll to the edge of the balcony before tapping on it. I have a sigh of relief when I read the last line, it was a request for another meeting. They do this at the end of every 2 weeks to make sure the main suspects were still around and available for questioning. At this point I don't even know what to expect. I've already lost my job so I don't think anything else will be a surprise.

————————————————————————

"It was good seeing you too, have a good one bro!" I tap my colleagues shoulder and reach for my keys in my pocket. The meeting went well.

I check my watch and see it's time to pick up Hidaya from school. I jog to my car and get in, loosening up my tie and removing it before I shove it into the glove compartment. I start the car and drive out of the company premises.

About half an hour after I got to the school parking lot and 6 unanswered calls later, I was starting to get worried. I try calling her again but it disconnects after the first ring. I take off my suit jacket and put it around the driver seat, I look up and see HER walking out the building. I swing the door shut and walk to the front of the car.

"Is everything alright?" I ask when she arrives.

"I'm so sorry, everything is okay. They told us to stay back and plan a few things for the graduation ceremony and I forgot to text you." She apologized.

"It's really okay, I was worried about you. I tried calling you but it never went through." I say.

"I tried calling you too. Network is bad in there I think." She says checking her phone and that's when I noticed her eyes. She looked really tired.

"Have you eaten?" I ask.

"Not yet, I'll get some cookies from the cafeteria after we're done insha Allah. That's in like...." She checks her phone "....half an hour." She looks back at me.