Chapter 17

Hidaya

The past week went by agonizingly slow but was somehow tolerable. Maybe it was because I was finishing up our project all by myself and at the same time also prepping for our finals. But then there was Ziyad who made it tolerable by literally just showing up.

The ice cream parlour became my favorite place to go study, he'd sometimes wait up on our spot at the rooftop with me and sometimes he'd give me some space and stay in the car occasionally checking up on me to see if I needed anything.

He even convinced me to bring Yusra with us one time, they sat on the opposite chair the whole time eating ice cream, talking in hushed voices and giggling here and there. They got very close in a matter of minutes and it ended up being a very fun day.

My phone vibrates and I see Ziyad's name flash. He sent a message that said he was outside. I reply with a "be out soon" and exit.

I check my WhatsApp to see if Zahra had replied to the message I sent her last night.

'Hey Zahra, how are you? I just wanted to remind you of our project. We are to submit tomorrow insha Allah. I'll be at school from 12pm to 3pm. Let's meet and submit together. Oh and let me know when and where.'

That was the message I had sent her but she didn't reply. She read it but just didn't reply, i heave a sigh before shoving the phone into my tote bag.

"Adda" Amina, our help walks into my room after muttering a 'salaam'.

"Yes Amina?" I answer saving the project I had just edited on my laptop.

"I wanted to let you know that I'm done peeling the potatoes, is there anything else I should do?" She asks.

"I've already cooked the jollof rice, mama will finish the potato salad so just boil the potatoes for now and I'll let her know okay?" I say putting my bag on my shoulder and adjusting my jilbab.

"Okay then." She says with a smile before walking out.

I walk out with my laptop in my hand, close the door to my room and head to the mini parlor where I find mama reading a book.

I walk in with a salaam and sit beside her playfully peeking into her book. She pinches my cheek and I laugh.

"All set?" She puts down the book on the coffee table looking at me.

"Yeah, Ziyad is outside already. I'm done with the rice and Amina just finished peeling the potatoes. I told her to boil it so it should be done in ten to fifteen minutes." I say.

"Okay then, I'll try not to forget." She smiles and I hug her.

"I gotta go, love you" I say before pulling back from the hug.

"Naji." She laughs "If you see oranges on your way back please buy a dozen." She asks and I nod with a playful salute.

I walk out the house smiling but my already ear to ear smile somehow got bigger when I saw Ziyad.

   He was standing outside the car like he usually does, leaning against the bonnet. He was on his phone today, typing away.
    I stroll over and he looks at me right before I stopped about 4 feet away. The second we made eye contact, he dropped the phone into his pocket and his face brightened up with a smile.

    "Assalam alaykum" he says still not breaking the eye contact.
    "Wa alaykum salaam" I look away trying to ignore the fluttery feeling in my stomach.

He walks to the passenger seat and opens the door. "Ready?" He asks.

"Yeah" I get into the car. "Thank you" I say as he closes the door.