Chapter 7

HIDAYA

I was in the kitchen with mama, we had just finished lunch when Zahra messaged. I finish setting the table before checking my phone.

"I'll be there in 10minutes" it read.

Today is the first day we'll be studying together at my place and honestly? Studying at their place first gave me nothing but anxiety. I mean my house is beautiful don't get me wrong but compared to theirs? It was just average. I didn't know if I was doing too much or too little. I go to my room to check everything for the billionth time.

"You've got this" I say to no one. Am just not used to having people over so I didn't know if my room was looking good or not. I mean....everything was clean, my bed was made but what if it's too clean? Is there anything as too clean?

I pick up the throw pillows on the bed and adjust them. I move back to see what it looks like before going back to adjust them again.

"Adda..." Yusra calls and I answer without looking, still trying to figure how to place the pillows. She's quiet for a second before calling out again.I follow the sound of her voice and spot her hiding behind my door. Oh no! This means she did something.

"Yusraa...what did you do?" I ask and she slowly walks into the room, at least enough for me to see her covered in cooking oil. Her baby pink dress was drenched in oil. PALM OIL of all oils!!

"Innalillahi..." I gasp and run to her. I see trails of it all the way from the kitchen to my room. I grab the end of her dress where the oil was dripping from to stop it from making any more mess and guide her to my bathroom.

"Did mama see you?" I ask and she shakes her head in a 'No'.

"How did this even happen? Was it hot? Wait! Are you hurt?" I check to see if she's hurt anywhere.

"No..." she says before starting to cry.

"Awww you poor thing, it's okay. Lemme wash it off." I kiss her oil stained cheek.

She looked like a Smurf if they were orange-ish in color.

I rinse it off the best I could before filling the bath tub with warm water and bathing gel. It foams up and I leave her in to soak a bit. I run back to where Amina our help is, I tell her to clean the mess before mama sees it. Just then I hear my phone ringing. Shoot! I forgot Zahra was on the way. I had 4 missed calls from her. I quickly dial back.

"Duuuuudeee..." she says after picking up.

"Hey!" I say almost out of breath.

"Am outside, have been for like 10hours." I laugh at her exaggeration.

"I'm sorry, there was a minor incident and...never mind im gonna come get you now." I say with my hand on my forehead.

"Okay then" she says and I hang up.

"Yusra stay in there I'll be right back okay?" I say loud enough for her to hear me from the bathroom.

"Okay" her tiny voice squeaked.

I grab my veil and sprint outside. I describe her car to the security guard and he goes out to check. Not a few seconds later he comes back inside.

"She's parked by the side of the street. Should I open the gate?" He asks.

"Yes please, guide her in." I say and stand aside making space for him to open the gate.

She drives in,parks and she smiles at me before getting out. I say thank you to the gate man and he nods before going back outside.

She squeals as she gets out and I spot her with two shopping bags. She bounces towards me and wraps me in a hug, the bags hitting my face.

I laugh and hug her back. "How are you?" I say pulling back.

"Am good, but am exhausted! I had to go get some stuff! I hope mama likes cookies and shawarma." She says.

"You didn't have t..." she glares at me "Thank you so much." I laugh as we walk in.

"Yusra is the Cookie Monster but mama?she loves shawarma." I say and she claps excitedly. This girl is something else.

"Lovely! Glad I got both then." She says.

"But you really didn't have to, we just finished lunch." We arrive in the living room where mama is.

She puts a finger to her lips and says. "Shhh we're friends now! It doesn't matter, lunch can be dinner. Now let me go greet mama." She spots mama on the couch and runs to hug her. Wallah it's as if she has knows her for ages. I smile at their interaction.

"Am gonna go check on Yusra, I'll be right back." I say running to my room.

I find her playing with the bubbles and it makes my heart smile. She's so innocent. I get her bath robe before returning to the bathroom. I wash her off gently with a soft sponge making sure I get all the greasiness out.

I get her dressed in a comfortable tshirt and shorts, spraying a little perfume on her. I put her stained dress in the washing machine and head back to the living room. I introduce her to Zahra and they immediately become friends after she gives her the shopping bag containing cookies.

"You can only eat that after lunch okay?" Mama says before noticing her outfit. "Why are you in new clothes?....Yusraa did you do something?" Mama says in a serious tone making her run and hide behind me.

Both Zahra and I laugh. "It's okay mama, I've asked Amina to clean the kitchen. It was just a little incident." I say hugging Yusra.

We talk a bit in the living room and head to my room after eating the shawarmas Zahra brought leaving Yusra with mama.

"Hey, thanks again for the food" I say opening my textbook.

"Hidaya we're friends, you don't have to thank me. Kinga let's start studying!" She dismisses the topic and I smile.