Chapter 9

HIDAYA

"Yaya I'm outside where are you?" I say to my brother over the phone.

"I'm right around the corner, you'll see me in a few seconds." He says.

I end the call and sigh, hugging my books. He was supposed to be here about ten minutes ago. I check my phone to see if I had any messages but none.

A few seconds later, yaya pulls up and I immediately get in.

"I'm sorry, you know I'll be traveling to Kaduna for a business meeting today. I forgot something and had to go back." He says.

"Oh Allah I totally forgot, I would have taken a taxi. Am so sorry for the stress" I say with a slight frown. I don't like stressing people, it makes me feel like a burden.

He gives me a side eye. "Oya listen carefully, with the way people are getting robbed in taxis, I forbid you from taking one. If you need a ride I'll get you an Uber okay?" He says.

"Either way I can get robbed" I say.

"Uber keeps track of all their drivers and details on them, easy to track down and deal with." He says like it's common knowledge. I mean it is but I forgot.

_______________\\\\___________

ZIYAD

Today was a slow day at the boutique. Mubarak had a lot of appointments at the hospital so he didn't even get to swing by. I received and sent out a few deliveries, had a meeting with the logistics company and that was it.

I lock our office before meeting Yusuf outside.

"Hey man, am gonna head out for a bit but I'll be back before or after asr insha Allah. If there's anything that needs my attention just call me." I hand him the keys.

"Okay sir, I forgot to mention earlier that Le tee bounty called, they'll be sending the veils out tomorrow morning insha Allah." He says taking the key.

"Okay then, that gives us more time to clear out the old ones for sale, good job Yusuf." I shake his hand and he smiles saying "thank you."

I head into my car and log into the Uber app and I'm immediately greeted with different requests. I drive out of the parking lot before accepting one nearby.

————————————————————————

HIDAYA

The school seemed very empty to me upon arrival. Everyone is probably in class but how can EVERYONE be in class at the same time? There were only a few people around and none of them were my classmates. I walk into the classroom which was also empty. I bring out my phone and dial Zahra's number.

"Hello, Hidaya where are you? I've been trying to call you."  She exclaims.

"Really? My phone has been with me and it didn't ring at all." I say surprised

"Probably network, The school sent us an email saying all lectures have been cancelled today. That's why I was trying to call you." She says and I go quiet for a bit.

"It makes sense now, my main email is on my laptop that's why I didn't see it." I say with a facepalm.

"Oh god, well can you make it to my place? We can study here instead." She asks.

"I don't know but...yeah I'll see what I can do" I reply.

"Cool I'll see you soon." She says hanging up.

I wonder why the school school decided to cancel all classes, must be something serious. I don't recall today being a national holiday or anything.

I bring out my phone and dial yaya's number. It rings a few times before he picks up.

"Hello, yaya todays classes were all cancelled, so I'm gonna get a Uber and go to Zahra's." I say.

"Oh in that case let me call one for you. I'm waiting for Hassan so I can do it before he gets here." He says.

"Okay then, I'll be waiting for you." I hang up and sigh.

Not a minute later he texts me the drivers details.

Ziyad. Black Nissan Sunny No, 34A2D
Will be there in 3-4 minutes! Be ready.

Oh, cool! It will take 3 minutes for me to get to the school gate anyways. I better get going.

__________\\\\\\_______\\\\\_______

ZIYAD

My phone vibrates with another request coming in. I accept and a few seconds later a call comes in.

"Assalam alaykum, go for Ziyad" i answer.

"Wa alaikum as salaam, good evening Ziyad. This is Hafiz, I believe you're my Uber?" A deep voice replies.

"Uh..yes I am. I'll be at the pickup soon insha Allah." I say.

"Okay that's good, I wanted to tell you it's my sister you'll be picking up and I want you to take good care of her please. Drop her at the right location and don't stop at any place." He says in a straight tone.

"Absolutely, yes sir" I reply respectfully. I like that he cares about his sister, I don't know him but I just got this respect for him.

"Okay then. That's all thank you." He says and I end the call after saying "you're welcome".

I pull up to the location and park by the empty space before clicking a button to notify her that I'm here. I then remember I have to call her brother first.

I hear a light tap on my window before I could dial his number. I look to the window and see a girl in a peach abaya and hijab with a face mask . I roll down the window.

"What's your name?" Her voice squeaked.

"Ziyad." I simply reply, a bit confused.

"Who are you picking up?" She asked again.

"I'm here for Hafiz...I mean his sister." I say and her eyes squinted. I'm guessing she smiled.

"That's me!" She exclaims getting into the back seat.

"Assalam alaykum" she said upon entering.

"Wa alaykum salaam" I reply with a nod.

___________\\\_____\\\____________

HIDAYA

He looked at me like I was wearing a costume when I asked his name. It was kind of funny, but I knew better than to skip this safety test yaya has taught me. Always ask the Uber his name and never tell him your name first. If his name corresponds to the one on your phone then you get in, if not run!

I get in the back seat and he starts driving without saying anything. My phone starts ringing, it was yaya.

"Hello yaya" I pick up.

"Yauwa Hidaya I just received a notification that you've started the trip. Everything is well ko?" He asks with concern.

"Yes yaya, it's him and everything is okay. I don't want you to be worried so just focus on your business trip okay?" I reply.

"Okay but do you have enough money? I sent you 10k just in case" he says.

"Yaya that's too much for an Uber, besides you're coming back tomorrow!" I try not to say the amount of money he sent in case my driver was cuckoo.

"Okay let me know if you need anything and make sure you call me the second you reach the house okay?" He says in one breath.

"Okay! Take care." I say with a giggle and hang up.