Chapter 19

Hidaya

The first hour at school was awkward as we were trying to get over what had happened but it's not something we could just jump over. We had just submitted our project and were coming out of our last class.

All of our course mates were jumping in excitement, some bought drinks to celebrate, some played music, everyone was just celebrating the last class with their friends.

"Soo...I'm glad it's all over" Zahra breaks the silence.

"Yeah, all we gotta do is write the exams and get on our way." I reply.

"Yay" she says dryly.

I try not to laugh at the fake somehow unenthusiastic excitement.

"So Ziyad? How long have you two been together? He is HOT" she says fanning herself dramatically.

"We're not together! And aren't you supposed to lower your gaze? Haram alayki Zahra!" I say and we both laugh and somehow the awkwardness floated away.

"You're not together? Liar! I saw the way he was looking at you." She exaggerates.

"I'm telling the truth we are not together. And I have no idea what you're talking about." I fiddle with the zip on my tote bag saying the last part.

She yanks me to the empty seats in front of our classroom and we plump down on them. She then proceeds to swing her entire body in my direction staring into my soul with her face propped on her hand.

"You are going to tell me everything Hidaya, everything!" She says and from the way she was staring at me I knew she wouldn't let me be until I had told her everything.

"He is my driver and like I said we're not together or anything." I look down at my bag again.

"That...is a handsome driver! And since you're not together or anything can I squeeze in? I mean he is fi..." I interrupt her with a glare and she stops mid sentence. "...too soon. Sorry."

"Not that...he's nice and very kind." I caress the design on my bag.

"You like him. That's why you're not looking at me." She accuses.

"Pfft...I don't like him. You do know that I've never been in a relationship before right?" I say and her eyes widen.

"What? Not one relationship?" She sits up.

"Nope, not one." I clarify.

"Not even high school romance?" Her eyes widen again.

"No, never." I say and watch as her jaw almost touched the floor. "What's so surprising about that?" I ask sincerely.

"I've never met anyone in this era that hasn't been in a relationship before." She covers her mouth with her palm.

"Well now you have." I look at her.

"This is gonna be so fun!" She claps

"What is?" I ask confused at her sudden excitement.

"Hidaya you've never been in love! Which means I have to guide you through it! Ya Allah I'm so glad I get to witness this!! Love is a very beautiful thing!" She cheered.

"Whoa whoa whoa! I am not falling in love with anyone! Okay?" I hold her hand in hopes to calm her down.

"Have you ever been in love?" She looks at me with a bored expression.

"No...?" I say unsure.

"Exactly! I have! And that means I know what it's like when you're falling. And you my dear..." she pinches my nose "...are falling for mr handsome."

I heave a sigh rolling my eyes. "Okay love guru. I'm gonna prove it to you that I ..." I pinch her nose too "...am not falling for 'mr handsome'."

"We'll see" she squints her eyes.

"Yes we will" I squint mine too.

Just then, my phone rings and I knew for a fact that it was Ziyad which was why I maintained my eye contact with Zahra.

"Go on, he's calling" she smiles slyly.

I groan and pick up without even looking at the phone and I was right, it was Ziyad.

"Salaam alaykum!" He chirped through the phone.

"Wa alaykum salaam" I say wincing as I felt a blush creep up my face.

I feel Zahra squeeze my hand. I look at her and she mouths 'I knew it'.

"Ill be there in a few minutes" he says.

"Okay, I'll be outside then." I reply ending the call.

"Girl I know you like him." Zahra claps as we both get up.

"Haha, I don't! He's cool and whatever but I don't like him. At least not in the way that you think." I state.

We walk to Zahra's car at the parking lot catching up on things we both missed when my phone rang again. I look at the entrance and see his car driving in. I say goodbye to Zahra and stroll to the car.
Upon getting in, he greets me with a smile which I return, I turn to the window to put on my seatbelt when I see Zahra waving and winking at me. Unserious human being.

"I got you this chicken sandwich. I thought you must be hungry with all the project submission and stuff. Also! Congratulations." He hands me a paper bag.

"Ziyad, you didn't have to. But thank you so much. And I really am hungry." My stomach quietly rumbles in agreement.

As if the aroma of the chicken sandwich making me drool already wasn't enough, he proceeds to bring out another paper bag from his side.

"This is a graduation gift." He says with his eyes still on the road and his arm stretched out.

"Im not even done with my exams yet." I laugh.

"Yeah well, I know ladies always like to prep their outfits before an event so...you can wear it to the graduation...if you want to of course." He quickly adds the last part.

I open the bag, the packaging was from his boutique, it revealed a beautiful purple abaya and a box of perfume on the side. I pull the perfume enough to reveal the name 'Hareem Al sultan' it said.

"Ziyad...." I began but found myself at loss for words. "...this is too much." I close the bag shaking my head.

"What?" He glances at me as if I had just said the most ridiculous thing ever. "Hidaya there is nothing like 'too much' when it comes to you. You deserve more." He says casually.

Casually!

He said it casually as if that sentence didn't just melt my entire heart.

I opened my mouth to talk but nothing came out. I felt my cheeks heat up. Zahra is definitely gonna hear about this. I look down at the bag blushing way too much.

I think I might actually like him...wait! No...I don't like him...it's just the excitement from getting a gift, yes! ......it's just excitement.....I don't like him....right?