Chapter 6

ZIYAD

I clean my car for what feels like the billionth time today. I check everything one last time.

"Perfect!" I say to myself. I was going to start taking passengers today. I didn't know if the car was looking good enough.

My phone rings bringing me out of my thoughts. It was another passenger requesting for a driver. I was about to tap cancel when I realized I've already cancelled five requests so I tap accept.

I heave a huge sigh before getting into the car, I put my phone on the phone holder and tap the location on the map. It was a guy and he wasn't far away. I was reciting duas from the second I left home to when I picked him up because I honestly didn't know what to expect. Can never be too careful.

He was not bad for a first passenger. A simple "hi" was all he said when he got in and that was it. He was making calls throughout the ride and writing things down. I drop him off and he hands me my money before getting out still talking on the phone.

I could finally breathe. "Not so bad" I say to myself adjusting my seatbelt. Another request comes in and I accept, this is kind of fun.

————————————————————————

By asr I had already picked up eight people. I was starting to get tired so I decided to log off for the day and head back home. I pray and head to Amma's room where I find her reciting her evening adhkar. I sit beside her and wait for her to finish.

"You look tired, how was your first day?" She says getting up.

"It went better than I expected actually..." I pick up her praying mat and fold it. "Most of the passengers were men and didn't say much, the ladies were mostly students returning from school."  I put it on the table and face her with a smile.

She pinches my cheek "Allahumma barik, May Allah bless you and your work." I hold her hand and kiss it.

"Ameen Amma na." I smile.

"Come let's go to the kitchen, I'll get started with dinner and you can tell all about it." She drags me out of the room making me laugh.

While in the kitchen, I helped around as much as I could. Chopping onions, peeling garlic, handing seasonings and all that.

I head over to the dining table to set it up as she was almost done.

"Should I put the tv on?" I say as we sit.

"No it's okay, let's just eat." She grabs the table napkin and unfolds it.

"Anything from work?" She says as we start eating.

"Nothing, I wanted to call Alhaji yesterday but didn't want to bother him." I say before taking another bite.

"Yeah you should send an email instead...." She pauses. "Did they find them? Arrest them...anything?" She says looking down at her plate.

I could tell she was getting upset, there was still no news about Nazif and Hussain but I say "yes, I forgot to tell you they arrested them about two days ago, must have slipped my mind." I fake a smile.

She smiles but not at what I said, she was smiling at me. "You're just like your father. When he lies,his nose flares a bit and he always tries to cover it up with a fake smile."

"I...uh....well..." I clear my throat.

"It's okay, I hope they catch them soon. Am just worried about you that's all." She squeezes my hand from across the table.

I smile, "I'll be okay Amma, I promise."

"Well, that aside when am I going to meet my inlaw?" She asks and I groan. She wiggles her eyebrows waiting for a response.

I hide my face behind my hands before mumbling "I'll tell you about it later..." I open my face "...can we just eat now?" I give her a sheepish smile.

"No we're gonna talk about it and we're gonna talk about it now" she laughs and I slump a bit in my chair.

"Okay, be honest?" I say with a raised eyebrow and she says "Mnhmn" still laughing.

"There's currently no in law for you to meet, unless you want to meet Mubarak's Fiancé." I say and she makes an 'are you kidding me?' face.

"Amma dagaske, there really is no one. Am kind of more focused on work right now." I say.

"Okay then. But are you even considering it?" She takes another bite and the room goes quiet for a moment.

I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to lie but I also didn't want her to be disappointed in me. I really wasn't considering getting a girlfriend anytime soon. I just wasn't good at the whole relationship thing. The only real relationship I had was about two years ago and let's just say it ended before Amma even knew.

"As of now? Not really. But I probably will insha Allah." I grab a glass of water.

"When?" She asks. "Or should I talk to your aunty to find som...."

I almost choke on my water. I make and 'X' with my hands while coughing and it makes her laugh.

"Please Amma, anything but that. I'd rather jump in the ocean at night." I say. Mama knows how much am afraid of the ocean so it makes her laugh even more.

"Fine! May Allah make it easy for you and may he give you the perfect lady." She says dreamily and I blush.

"Ameen ya rabb." I dab my mouth with the napkin looking down a bit.

I pick up our plate and scrape the leftovers into the cat bowl before washing them. I return and see Amma seated in the living room watching what seems to be a Hausa movie.

"Amma am gonna head to bed now, if you need anything just give me a call." I say standing by the staircase.

"Thank you dear. Don't forget your duas." She blows a kiss.

I laugh a bit "yes Amma. Good night."