26

JISELE ADAMS
'Jilly'
RALEIGH • 919

"Well everything looks great! These last few weeks should go by fast, you might even go in before that."

I smiled nervously as the obgyn told me that.

I had nothing prepared for the arrival of my baby and the fact that I can possibly have her early means I have little to no time to get ready.

"Okay! Thank you." I thanked her as Milo helped me down from the table— It was getting harder and harder to maneuver by myself with this big ole belly.

We checked out and left out of the office; making our way back to the car.

"What's the address for the place you wanna see?" He asked as he started the car up.

I gave it to him and he began to drive in that direction.

"Soo.." I began to say, "Did you get rid of the baby stuff we got from the shower?"

He looked over at me with his face scrunched up, "Why would I do that?"

"Well I mean... I figured since you was moving like you didn't care about the baby, you wouldn't of wanted all that in your house."

"It sound like you just wanted a conversation cause that was some dumb ass shit to say." I laughed because he was right.

I wanted to talk but I didn't know what to talk about or how to start it so that's what I thought of.

"Well yeah your right, I just wanna talk... It's kind of awkward riding in silence."

"What you gone do about your mom's house and all y'all stuff in there?"

"Once I get my place I'll go back there and start moving stuff out... I just can't even bring myself to go there right now, I'm still haven't even faced the fact that she's really never coming back."

"I feel you... I'm really sorry bout that, I know that was yo other half forreal."

"Yeah.." I nodded as tears tried to flood my eyes but I blinked them away.

The crazy thing about all of this— I haven't cried once... Its like my body won't let me... I just keep telling myself that's her watching over me and making sure I'm staying strong.

"How do I put money on somebody head?" I changed the topic.

"What?" He glanced at me.

"How... do I... put money on somebody head?" I paused between every few words. "Like you know, put a hit on them?"

"Who the hell you trynna put a hit on?"

"Jd and another nigga I just don't know who he is yet."

"Huh?"

"That night at the hospital, I seen this man rushing in while I was outside then all of a sudden my mom was gone & he was rushing out, I can bet that was some shit Jd had done.." I explained.

"What makes you sure that nigga did that to yo mom? What if he was in the hospital for something else?"

"He was dressed suspiciously, he was coming from the direction of her room, and he was in & out too quick... It's the only thing that makes sense."

"You know what he look like?"

"Not really, it's like... I do but I don't... I can't really picture his face. It'll come back to me eventually— but back to my point, how do I get it done?"

"Ima handle Jd— you ain't gotta worry about that, it's gone probably be a minute but i got it. That other nigga? You gotta know what he look like so I can find him."