Chapter 21: Misunderstandings

Human beings have the basic need to be understood. Being emotionally in sync with another human being helps us thrive and keeps us happy. But what happens when this understanding turns into a misunderstanding? A small misunderstanding can destroy a very beautiful relationship.

Last evening while Aaradhya was having a walk with Abhi, his watch broke. She kept it in her bag and forgot to return it. After class when he was busy playing football, she went to the nearby shop, got it repaired and went to the ground to return it. Abhi with a few other boys was sitting near a tree resting for a few minutes.

"You can pull any girl you want, man!" she heard a boy.

"Yup! Well, you won the bet. If that girl Aaradhya is mesmerised by you then there is no one you cannot impress. She was a hard nut to crack," said another one and they laughed. Her steps halted. Bet? All this time he was being so nice to her, being so caring, was it because of the bet? She could not believe her ears. She wanted this to be wrong. But she can't change the reality, can she? She felt like crying but not in front of him. She was not that weak. So she kept walking towards them.

"It was not about the be.."Abhi was saying when she reached them.

"You forgot this in my bag yesterday," she said giving him the watch. His eyes widened. Did she hear them? She probably did not, otherwise, she would not behave this normally.

"Thank you," he said taking the watch and searching her face for any expression which can tell she heard the boys. She turned and started moving in the direction from where she just came.

"And yes, Congratulations!" she said halting and turning to look at him.

"For what?" he asked.

"You won the bet, didn't you? Congratulations Abhi," she smiled and left.

She heard them. She did! Shit! That was not the case. The boys randomly challenged him once to impress Aaradhya as she looked like the girl who did no relationship things. He accepted the challenge and initially, he wanted to become friends with her because of that. But after one or two meetings he felt guilty for accepting anything like that for her. She was so pure, so innocent. So he accepted his defeat and even told the boys about it. After that whatever he did or whatever it was between them was natural. But these stupid boys, they thought it was all because of the bet. It was all fucked up now! What will he tell her?

He stood up and ran after her. He will not let this ruin whatever they have.

"Aaradhya!" he called reaching her.

"Yes?" she replied in a simple tone looking at him. Her eyes and nose were very red. He could tell she was trying hard not to cry.

"Just listen to me once. It is not what you heard," he said pleadingly.

"It doesn't matter. You won. Go and celebrate," she said and continued her walk.

"Aaradhya, Please! I swear it was not the case..." he said trying to hold her hand which she jerked forcefully.

"Don't! Don't even think of touching me. Stay away. You did what you wanted. I don't want any explanation now. Just leave me alone. Please." she said trying hard to control the tears which were about to fall from her beautiful eyes.

"Ok," he said slowly and shamefully. This time he did not follow her. She needed space and he respected it. But only for now. She would have to listen to him at any cost. He fucked it up and he will be the one clearing this too.

                          ************

After the class, Tanu went to the club meeting where they had to discuss yesterday's reports. She did not like this work. Going to the orphanage and looking after the children was fun but these reports' discussion and paperwork were so boring. But she had no choice. She'll have to do the boring part too if she wants to do the fun part.