Chapter 59

Aaradhya entered the hospital at six in the evening. She was greeted by some of her colleagues. But most of them were unknown to her. This is the first time she has joined the night shift. Dr Pooja and Trisha were very upset about this but she gave them her reasons. False of course. The only reason was to avoid him.

She made her way to her office. The hospital was flooded with patients. Slightly less than the morning shift though. But emergencies don't see time. There were two emergency cases in her department. She was asked to handle one while Dr Abhilash handled the other. It was four in the morning when she was finally free. She still has two working hours left. But there were not many patients there. She decided to have a cup of tea, she was getting a headache now. It will take her some time to adjust to this routine.

As she paid for the tea and sat in the corner of the canteen to enjoy her alone time, from nowhere someone pulled the chair in front of her and sat there. She looked up immediately.

"Abhi?" she said confused. What was he doing here at this time?

"Hii!" he greeted her smilingly.

She was more confused now. He looked happy. She wanted him to be happy though but yesterday he was in her flat drunk and crying. What changed in a day?

"Why are you here at this time?" she asked.

"Why are you here at this time?" he repeated her question.

"I asked first," she argued.

"And I asked after you," he stated still smiling.

Ok. This was weird. What's wrong with him? Or what's right with him?

"I... I was shifted to the night shift," she lied.

"Wow! Me too. What a coincidence!" he beamed.

"What?" she said a little too loud and looked around to find some eyes on her. She mumbled a sorry, half embarrassed.
"Why did you take the night shift?" she asked in a low tone this time.

"I did not. They shifted me," he answered.

"They don't shift the staff like that. You must have asked them too," she said.

"You asked them to shift you to the night shift too?" he asked.

"No! They shifted me. Why would I ask them?" she lied immediately.

"They did the same to me. They are so cruel," he said innocently.

She looked at him suspiciously. Did he take the night shifts knowingly? But he didn't know that she was going to change shifts. But the authorities never changed shifts on their own. Maybe they needed more doctors for the night shift.

Just how bad can her luck be? Why always her?

"Ok," she said and focused on her tea.
"Do you want something?" she asked when he kept sitting there looking at her.

"No," he said smiling.

She looked at him weirdly. What's with the constant smile on his face? She finished her tea instantly and went towards her office. After giving a last visit to the patients admitted in the general ward she decided to leave.

It was six in the morning. Still, the roads of Delhi were filled with people. She stood on the footpath and waited for an auto. After five minutes an auto stopped in front of her, she told him the address and sat in it.

And again from nowhere, someone entered from the opposite side and sat beside her. She looked at him bewildered.

"Abhi? What are you doing here?" she asked.