Chapter 47

"Come on, Aaradhya! The food is turning cold," Aaradhya's mother shouted for the umpteenth time in the last fifteen minutes.

"Oh God!" Aaradhya murmured finally shutting her book and exiting her room. Her mother won't let her study in peace until she feeds her up to her satisfaction.

"Seriously, Mummy? You were shouting for the last fifteen minutes and you are still not done making chapatis!" She complained as she entered the kitchen.

"Just two minutes," her mother replied sheepishly. She loves her daughter's dedication towards her studies but she hates her carelessness towards her health. She will again shift to some hostel after her entrance exam and will survive on the hostel food. Anjali is determined to make her daughter gain weight before she moves out this time.

"Mummy?" Aaradhya called taking out two plates to serve food.

"Yeah?" her mother replied turning off the gas.

"Don't you think Papa is very stressed these days?" Aaradhya asked. Her father was a disciplined man. Always on time for everything. But for the last few days, she has been observing him coming late from the office. He used to ask about her studies, her days and everything before but now he barely talks. His smile seems to be forced. She doesn't want to see him like that.

"Must be some office-related issue, Aaradhya. You know how business works. Ups and downs are an inseparable part of it. Don't think much. Focus on your entrance," she said softly taking out the plates to the dining table.

Aaradhya did not bring that topic up again. She'll talk to her father tonight. He was the man who stood with her when she failed in her first attempt in the NEET exam. Not even once did he doubt her capability. Not even once he scolded or pressured her for anything. He was strict and wanted his children to be disciplined. The only reason they were so scared of him. But he was loving, caring and a responsible father, husband and son. He never shares his feelings openly. If he is facing some kind of problem in his work the least she can do is talk to him about it. Maybe just maybe she can help. She can ask Abhimanyu or Yuvraj for advice or if needed help.

It was eleven at night when her father finally returned. Aaradhya opened the door for him. He smiled at her. Forced smile. Asked how her preparation was going on and moved to his study room. Aaradhya's mother reheated the food and was about to take it to his study when Aaradhya stopped her.

"I'll take it. I have to ask something about my application form too. You can go and rest," she told her mother.

Her mother reluctantly gave her the plate and left. Aaradhya knocked softly on the door twice and entered. Her father was sitting with three files opened in front of him. He looked worried. Aaradhya's heart clenched. She has never seen him like this. He looked towards her and the worry on his face was replaced by a smile. A genuine one this time.

"You should just focus on your exam, Aaradhya. Anyone else can bring me food," he said.

"It's not a big deal, Papa. I wanted to talk to you,"

"OK, come sit. What happened? Are you facing any problems with your studies here?" he asked.

"No. First, eat this. You look tired," she said keeping the plate in front of him, closing the files and keeping them aside.

The rest few minutes passed in silence as he ate and she tried to think of ways to talk about his work. He'll definitely tell her that it's not her age to worry about these things and she has to focus on her exams but it is her age to worry about these things. She is not a child anymore. She is a grown adult. She is a doctor and she is going to do her specification in a few months. And being the eldest daughter it's her responsibility too.