Chapter 5

Father quickly comes out and invites Prof. Enzo into the villa. That's when I realize he is also a friend of my father's.

School is on summer vacation, and Prof. Enzo's exchange program has also ended. He will stay here for a few days before returning to Italy.

I don't pay much attention to it. The summer vacation lasts for two months, and I want to find an internship at an art gallery first.

Elliot's plane is scheduled to depart the next morning at 8 a.m. and land twelve hours later.

I receive his text message, reply with "Ok," and continue preparing for my interview.

It isn't until I start feeling dizzy that I run to the terrace to rest and feel the night breeze.

But I didn't expect to find a man standing on the adjacent terrace, and it is Prof. Enzo himself.

He is wearing a silk robe, holding a cigarette between his fingers.

When he sees me on the terrace, he pauses for a second, then presses the cigarette butt into the ashtray and kindly says, "Sorry, I didn't mean to smoke near you."

Suddenly, It reminds me of Elliot. He also smokes but has never asked me that question.

I shake my head and say, "No, it's fine. You can smoke."

Prof. Enzo smiles, "Better not."

He looks at me and says, "I've seen your final assignment, it is excellent."

"Thank you."

"You're starting your junior year, and graduation is approaching, right?"

"Yes."

I'm the adopted daughter of this family. My step-parents only provide me with food and clothing, and the rest is up to me.

Prof. Enzo asks again, "Do you really enjoy curating as a profession?"

"Yes," I reply.

Prof. Enzo speaks in a gentle tone, neither hurried nor aggressive, which makes me can't help but say more, "I especially enjoy exhibitions from the Middle Ages. When I'm working and looking at those ancient artifacts, it feels like I'm detached from reality."

Prof. Enzo smiles and says, "Indeed, it is a mysterious era. Keep up the good work, young lady."

In my life, I've never heard anyone call me "young lady" except for my deceased biological mother.

My face suddenly feels a little warm, so I whisper, "Okay, thank you."

After returning to my room, it is already 10 p.m.

Elliot didn't send any more messages, but considering the time, he probably has already arrived at the hotel.

During the summer vacation of my sophomore year, my classmates are either traveling or preparing for graduate school.

I don't want to pursue a master's degree.

The professor of medieval art history at school likes me and is willing to accept me as his graduate student. But if I continue studying, I won't be able to leave this family. I have to find an internship as soon as possible.

I want to quickly buy a plane ticket to leave this city, rent a small house, plant some flowers, and get a small dog. When I cry, it will lick away my tears with its tongue.

The next morning, I take a shower, put on formal attire, and leave with my laptop for the interview.

As I pass by the garden, I see Prof. Enzo.