Chapter 24

Elliot leans close to my face, looking at me seriously, then raises his hands in a sudden panic, wiping away my tears. He keeps coaxing, "Don't cry... don't cry... please don't cry..."

But my tears can't be stopped at all.

In my sight, there are only shimmering white tears. Elliot appears fragmented in the tears, but slowly piecing back together.

I put my arms around his neck, burying my face in his shoulder as I cry, "Elliot, you're such a jerk! I've never met anyone as terrible as you in my life!"

"I'm sorry," his voice is hoarse.

I cry even louder, hugging him tighter, "You're a jerk, and yet, I still like you."

Elliot's body stiffened for a moment.

The next second, he suddenly realized, held my face in his hands, imprinting wild kisses all over.

From my forehead to my eyebrows, then my nose and cheeks.

He kisses me while excitedly saying, "Macy, thank you! Thank you!"

I made a token effort to struggle, but in the end, I surrendered to his warm embrace.

I thought to myself, how could Elliot truly fall in love with someone?

But then again, I thought, maybe this time, he's serious.

His embrace is so warm.

"Elliot, let's try again." After a long while, I say softly, "This is the last time."

"Okay," he says, licking away my tears like a puppy and giving a soft kiss on my eyelid. "This time, I'll treat you well."

He is extremely tired, breathing heavily, and can't keep his eyes open anymore.

I help him lie down, cover him with a blanket, and turn off the bedside lamp.

Goodnight, I say in my heart.

In the darkness, he still holds my arm tightly, repeating the last thing he said in a low voice.

Elliot slept for a long time. From the time I sent Oliver to school until he came back home with his backpack.

"Mom, don't you have something to tell me?" In the kitchen, Oliver leans against the fridge while peeling candy and looks at me with a smile.

I push him aside and take out vegetables and meat from the fridge, blinking my eyes, "I've told you many times not to eat snacks before meals. If you can't finish dinner later, you're in big trouble."

Oliver puts away his smile and carefully puts the candy back where it was. Then he says, "I heard noises last night, it was Elliot, right?"

I'm washing vegetables and let out a soft sigh.

"So, Elliot is bothering you again! Have you rekindled your old flame?!"

I almost choked on my own saliva. Where did this kid learn the term "rekindle the old flame"? I should check what extracurricular books he's been reading.

"What exactly is going on? Tell me!"

I turn around and fetch a stool, and ask Oliver to stand on it to help me wash the vegetables.

But clearly, it can't shut him up.

Oliver's tone is almost pleading, "Mom, tell me."

I cross my arms and lean against the cold wall, "Call him dad."

"Huh?" A piece of vegetable slips from Oliver's hand and falls into the sink.

"In the hospital, I overheard your conversation," I shrug, "I know you know he's your dad."