Chapter 16

Silver rain falls from the sky.

I take out my phone and call Prof. Enzo first. He anxiously asks where I had been.

“I passed by a restaurant and had a meal. I’m almost at the hotel, everything’s fine.”

It’s raining heavier, and I’m soaked from head to toe. The temperature in the mountains is low in winter, and my teeth are chattering.

I recalled many things: the old house after my mom died, the orphanage that obeyed the law of the jungle, my biological father bringing me home but keeping our blood relation a secret, my stepmother and stepsister calling me something like “whore,” and Elliot. His stories is too much to count.

I was like a chess piece fooled on the board. I didn’t commit suicide; it’s accidental that I’ve managed to live in peace until now.

Elliot. Elliot.

When I was twenty years old, Elliot and I had been together for three years. Conscience and morality constantly tormented me, and I had to brainwash myself, telling myself that love is the greatest.

How could I convince myself to sleep with my sister’s boyfriend?

If I didn’t like him, how could I have endured this?

The rain continues to fall, and I slip, falling to the ground.

A car stops by the roadside. Elliot gets out of the car and carries me inside.

I push him away, but he softens his voice and fastens my seatbelt. “The mountain road is slippery. I’ll take you back. It’s okay, it’s okay.”

The car comes down from the mountain and stops at a busy intersection.

It’s rush hour now, and the traffic is terrible.

Elliot takes out a can of warm instant coffee from the car’s thermos and taps my hand. “Warm yourself up.”

I don’t move.

He stays silent for a moment, then lowers his head in despair. “When I woke up that morning, you were gone… I organized your old belongings and then found that diary. I… I was such a bastard. Did you hurt yourself when you fell just now?”

I don’t know whether to cry or laugh.

What’s the point?

What’s the point of asking about these old scars from years ago?

“Please, talk to me,” Elliot’s voice is hoarse as he leans closer to me. “I’ve thought about it. It doesn’t matter if you have a child. I will take good care of you both.”

His promises sound so light, so fancy, so beautiful.

“No need,” I gaze at the bustling street. “We’re doing fine. I know there are many girls who like you. You can go find them.”

“I don’t care if they like me or not. Please, Macy, don’t say such things.”

The traffic starts moving slowly, and as Elliot starts the car, he says in a disoriented manner, “Whether you want to be in Europe or go back to the United States, I’ll follow you wherever you are. It’s almost Christmas, let me take you both to see the Northern Lights! Kids love it!”