Chapter 18

The night tonight feels exceptionally long. It isn't until dawn that Oliver is finally wheeled out of the operating room and transferred to the ward. Prior to that, Elliot and I were sitting in the corridor.

The ward has glass windows through which we can see if Oliver shows any signs of waking up.

As the morning light dawns, I suddenly stand up. But before pushing the door open, I pause for a moment.

I turn around to look at Elliot.

Oliver is still unaware of Elliot's existence. But he has donated blood and waited here all night, which seems unfair to him.

However, Elliot slowly stands up, nods, and says, "Go in, I happen to need to step out for a bit."

Just then, the doctor appeared in the corridor.

The doctor is going to examine Oliver, so I go in with him.

When I hear the news that the surgery is successful, I stand by Oliver's bedside and let out a long sigh of relief.

Looking into Oliver's round eyes as he wakes up, I ask him, "How do you feel now?"

Oliver's voice is still weak, "I'm fine, Mom, don't worry."

He is just a five-year-old child. Upon hearing his reply, my eyes begin to well up with tears.

One of his hands still has an IV drip, while the other gently rests in my palm.

I hold back my tears and skip over that topic, asking, "Are you hungry? What would you like to eat? I'll go buy it for you."

Oliver actually gives it some thought and smiles, "Can I have a SpongeBob toy?"

I don't know whether to cry or laugh.

Just as I turn around, a tall figure suddenly walks in through the door.

Elliot has returned.

Because of his tall stature, it feels like the entire ward is filled when he enters. He also has many paper bags in his hands, which he places down first upon entering.

Oliver lies on the hospital bed, looking at him.

Due to not having slept all night, my mind is still a bit foggy, unsure of how to react.

Oliver has no choice but to turn his gaze to me, saying, "Mom, is he your friend? Why do I feel like I've seen him before?"

I neither nod nor shake my head, staring blankly at Elliot.

Elliot walks over to my side but looks at Oliver, speaking in a very gentle tone, "Oliver, hello, I am..." His voice pauses, and his gaze seems to linger on me for a moment, "I am your mom's friend, Elliot."

I remain silent, and Oliver accepts his statement as fact.

In the bags that Elliot brings are all toys, and in the last paper bag is breakfast. He puts the breakfast on the small table next to the hospital bed, ranging from brioche, juice, to various snacks that children like.

Oliver looks a bit surprised, and Elliot explains, "This is breakfast I bought for you and your mom. I didn't know what you like, so I bought a little bit of everything."

He looks at me and changes his tone, saying, "Let's have something to eat first."

I can only follow his instructions.

Oliver looks at the chocolate-filled Brioche in front of him and remembers to ask Elliot, "Thank you, but have you eaten?"

Elliot maintains his gentle tone, "No, I'm not hungry."