Chapter 23

Who is Elliot?

A selfish and self-centered businessman, always putting himself first.

I almost forgot.

I suddenly stand up, ready to leave.

But my steps hesitate as Elliot grabs me.

He lightly taps my wrist with his index finger, his eyes pleading, asking me to wait for him.

I purse my lips, remaining silent.

After hanging up the phone, he picks up his coat from the hanger and goes out with me.

I take out my phone, intending to call a cab.

But before I could dial, he saw my intention and softened his voice, saying, "It's difficult to find a cab here in the suburbs. By the time you get home, the meeting will be over."

Then, he kindly opens the car door for me. "Let me give you a ride, Macy."

Silently, I watch him for a couple of seconds, then get into the car and fasten my seatbelt.

A bit of sunset still lingers on the horizon, and the sunlight streams through the trees, casting its glow inside the moving car.

"Elliot, we shouldn't see each other anymore. It's pointless," I say with narrowed eyes.

Elliot is adjusting the car's air conditioning when he suddenly looks up at me. "Why is it pointless?"

"To be honest, do you think we still have a chance? It's been eleven years, and we haven't been together," I turn my head to look out the window, "How many eleven years does a lifetime have?"

Outside the window is the Tuscan dusk, with vast fields of wheat dyed by the setting sun, and scattered cylindrical haystacks resembling works of art.

"I find it strange too," Elliot chuckles softly, "Eleven years, yet sometimes I feel like falling for you happened just yesterday."

"There are many people who could take my place," I say, referring to the girls who appeared with him in entertainment news or the one who has just called him.

Elliot's voice softens, "But I only want you. If you're willing, we still have plenty of time to spend together. We can grow old together."

I close my eyes.

His words are always sweeter than reality.

"The woman on the phone... She's the daughter of one of my business partners. Don't worry, I'll handle that situation."

I still don't open my eyes; the sunlight falls on my eyelids, painting my sight with a vast orange color.

The car stops in front of my house.

The first thing I do after entering is to find his cufflink and then turn around to the door.

But Elliot stares at the cufflink like a statue, not reaching out to take it.

My patience wears thin with each tick of the clock.

"Go away," I say, almost rudely, shoving the cufflink into his suit pocket.

"Macy," Elliot looks at me, hesitates for a moment, and says, "I'm leaving for the US tomorrow."

Fine. I don't want to be the one who forever waits for him, begging for his love anymore. He'd better not appear in my life again.

But Elliot continues, "I'm going back to change business partners and get rid of that man's daughter."

"You don't have to inform me about that," I say after a few seconds of silence.