° 48

Aunt Coraline's Dead.

It was announced in the newspaper and it was flashed on television worldwide. First, it was just a rumor to them but not after I confirmed it.

The Great Coraline Blanchette passes away at the age of 94.

"I heard that Coraline doesn't have a family here other than her heir." Mateo wrapped his arms around my shoulder and pulled me close to him "Rumors said that Hemera Blanchette was with her Grandmother until her last breath." Another voice whispered.

"Don't let them get to you, Mera." I'm trying because that what's Aunt Coraline wanted. She wanted me to be better than all of them. "Must be awful for that child, but still, being the heir of a massive fortune is great."

"We shall hope that nobody will try to kill her like they did with Coraline when she first inherited her parent's fortune." They mumbled.

"God save the heir." I finally glanced at them, almost glaring when they noticed me looking and rushed out of my sight. I returned my eyes in front of me, Mateo sitting beside me.

"I wonder if my Aunt is truly happy until her last breath." I muttered as I stared at the urn where my aunt is now placed "Finally being with your mother." I chuckled at the thought of the two running into each other's arms "But, she left me unprepared, Mateo. She asked me a lot of things she knew I could not simply do." I sighed

"Coraline loves you, Mera." Mateo reminded me, I tore away my eyes from the urn and looked at him "But, what does love do other than to make you suffer?" I asked.

"Am I the selfish one?" I asked him, this time I didn't know the answer "Tell me, Is it my fault that she chooses not to let go so soon because of me?" I forced myself not to cry, not right now.

"I didn't ask for this." I mumbled, my gaze falling on my hand on my lap "But I will since I promised and I am not the one to break a promise." I don't know what I meant cause I didn't promise anything to her cause I said I couldn't.

"Mademoiselle, your friends have arrived." Lip informed me before opening the door for my friends, that there were only limited people at the manor, I didn't let all those people come here at once.

I stood up from my seat to greet my girls when I was suddenly wrapped around a tight group hug "Mer, I'm so sorry." Jen whispered to me and kissed the top of my head.

"Thank you for being here." I smiled at them. Jen nodded before caressing my cheek. Out of the three of them, Jen is my closest friend while Mia and Lizzie are the other partners.

Me and Jen are the quiet ones in the group, the one who keeps an eye out on the one who was wasted in the bar. Their belly is so big now, I almost forgot they are pregnant.

"How are you three doing?" I wasn't able to talk to them these past few days due to the stress Aunt Coraline's death had caused me. "We should be the one who's asking that." Mia chuckled.

"I'm fine, you know me." I answered, rubbing a circle on her arm "Honestly, we don't." Says Lizzie and it did something to me "Mera, Mateo told us what happened after we left," I told him not to tell them and when they became so close, the last time I knew, Mateo was trying his best to ignore them.

"and neither is he, the one who knows you best knows what's going on in your mind anymore."

Even I don't know what's been going on in my mind anymore, it's like I'm floating every time like I was in a different kind of world. I almost thought that I was losing it.

They are worried about me though they shouldn't be, they can't be like Aunt Coraline who doesn't say they are worried and clearly shows it.
It annoys me but I understand.

I don't talk about my feelings often, feeling like it would be such a burden to those who know it too. I thought I could forget the trauma I endured but it will always be carved in my mind.

And now, Aunt Coraline wasn't here to advise me what to do because she is dead, she left and will never come back.

It was a cold harsh truth I do not want to face and have to because that's what needs to happen. Maybe, one day I will wake up and all the pain and worries, especially the burden will be gone.

Being an heir is a heavy burden but I was made for this and was no longer the heir, I was the head of the Blanchette family, the last one.