° 50

"They are waiting for you, Mademoiselle," Louise informed me the moment I got outside my car.

"Good," I said. She extended her arm, asking me if she needed to hold my birkin for me. I simply shook my head, seeing that she already had a clipboard in her hand and I had my own.

The guard at the parking lot bowed as he opened the door for me. Everyone who saw me immediately did the same. I saw before they saw me that they were gossiping, probably about me. Louise is always here so I knew it, she's my eye and ears when I am not available.

People got out of the elevator, almost stumbling into each other in fear as they hurriedly got out. I only go here once in a blue moon so I knew they were shocked to see me walking through this hall.

"Mademoiselle." The board members got up from their seats, bowing their heads. I walked past them, noticing how some of them looked rather uncomfortable where they stood. Is it because of me or is it their arthritis?

"You may be seated." As much as I love them standing and being the heartless woman they painted me to be that I am very much am, I needed to be done with this meeting.

"Your concern?" I asked the nearest one to me, Henri Bain "Mademoiselle, the lumber in America is not getting any good." Bain said his concern, leaning back against his comfortable chair "Says who?" I raised my eyebrow, I needed the source and I needed to know it all "My source." Bain replied.

"What source is that exactly? Cause even though I haven't visited America in years, I know the lumber is getting very well." I keep myself relaxed and try not to launch at me. Why do people keep lying when it clearly shows that you already know they are lying?

Does it make them feel good or kind of superior?

I don't know the answer to that cause I barely lie and when I do, it's for the good.
"You're saying the lumber mill is getting no good because you knew that means I will sell it and because you know I don't need the buyer's name and will not bother to check on it, You'll dare to buy it."

"That is what my source tells me," I added.

"Well with all due respect mademoiselle, your sources lie." He said confidently, head as high as it can be "Oh? Are you, Louise?" I glanced at Louise who was sitting at the other end of the table "Certainly not, mademoiselle." Louise answered.

"Try another time, Bain."

"The next time you try me, remember I am not a fool." I reminded all as I stood up. I don't want to hear any of their concerns anymore and I doubt they will say it. I walked out of the room, not bothering to dismiss them.

"Just in case you forget, mademoiselle, you have a dinner with Mateo this afternoon." Louise reminded as she followed me "Did he arrive yet?" Mateo went to America to do god knows what without even telling me until he already arrived there.

"Not yet," Louise answered.

-

Meercat
Where the hell are you??

Mateo
Sorry, my freaking flight is delayed.

Meercat
Are you kidding me?

Mateo
Sorry, I can't have dinner with you but someone will :⁠-⁠)

Meercat
What the hell was that fucking mean?

The bastard left me on read for the first time.

We're supposed to have a dinner at the garden, the one he planned and was supposed to attend but there he is, absent from something he is supposed to be in.

I groaned in frustration, trying to fight the urge to block him. The dinner is ready and I'm the only one who will finish it thanks to Mateo.

I didn't have a choice but to eat by myself but I needed to look at the bright side. No Mateo means there's silence and I loved silence. I know I won't finish this all by myself so I didn't bother to eat it all.

But, I forced myself to. I tried calling Louise so she could join me but she wasn't answering her phone. I suppose she's busy.

I miss Aunt Coraline and - as much as I hate it - her lessons during times we would eat together and laugh. She wouldn't let me drink two glasses of champagne because she was scared that I would fall myself. I really missed her.

There was a telescope in front of the table that was used every time I and Aunt Coraline started star gazing and looking at the moon.

I stand up from my seat and walk towards the telescope. I started star gazing, admiring the beauty of the night. It always managed to take my breath away.

I always look up at the sky and admire and check the moon. It's last quarter. Our last.
Everything seemed to be a reminder of him, everywhere I went and everywhere I looked.

He's everywhere and the reminders of him.

"You still love gazing at stars, I suppose?"

Damn you Mateo.

"Yes." I answered, hesitantly "Nights like this are so beautiful, so perfect." I added. "What are you doing here?" I finally asked, annoyed.

"To do the right thing this time." Says Paul.

"If you won't go home with me, I'll go home to you." It confuses me the most. I don't understand him at all. He had a perfect life with Rachel, he chose her yet he left her, for me?

It doesn't make any sense.

"What do you mean?" When I left, he asked me to go home with him but I refused because France is my home and even though I never wanted to admit it again, he was my home.

But that was before everything came to the ruins and I was left broken.

"I let you go once, I'm not gonna do it again."

"I don't understand, what about Rachel?" No matter what she's done, she still likes me and I don't wish any woman to experience the pain I felt because the man they loved left them "What we have is gone but what we have? It was never gone." Paul said.

And I knew what he said was true because what I had for him was never gone. They always said you can never unlove someone who lets you experience all of it.

Paul kneeled in front of me, eyes staring up at me as he pulled something out from his pocket.

"Marry me, Mera."

Paul is my dream, something I didn't get to have for a long time that I was willing to achieve. I am a dreamer and he is my dream.