Only Human [S2/EP8]

Norman Osborns Office, Saturday 3:30 am

There in his lonesome room, was Norman. Not a single pitch of light, other than his desk lamp and laptop screen which showcased a familiar face he had grown to fear less of. With curtains closed, and the door locked, they proceeded with a conversation on the night's event. Especially considering how much of a close call it had become. 

Eager for answers, Norman is the first to ask, "I was led to believe my laboratory and its equipment were guarded." He clamps his hands together, internally fuming with frustration, "Especially the custom weaponry I was designing for you, and your robotic cronies."

On the screen, Slade wasn't facing Norman, he was staring at a larger screen behind him. With a slow slideshow of pictures previewing the Green Goblin and his manic face, fighting Spider-girl along with the Teen Titans. It would take seconds for Slade to reply. 

What was he thinking?... 

Or 

What was he scheming...

"No." Lowering his head from the larger screen, Slade addressed, "This 'Green Goblin', is no recruit of mine. How he's managed to steal from our laboratory proves that he hasn't come from any external force from the outside, but an internal one."

Resisting a scoff, Norman retorts, "So when you failed, you've decided to place the blame on me?"

That sentence was certainly not the right choice of words. A moment's pause later, Slade ever-so-slightly tilts his head to glare at Norman. Eye to eye, "I didn't fail." He tilts his head back to the larger screen's pictures, "For months I've protected you from determined journalists, detectives, and thieves. All of which are now missing, without a trace." Slade places his hands behind his back, professionally, "No one broke into the laboratory that night, meaning the only one who could have gotten in was someone already working inside."

It made sense, though then again, Norman was always looking for an excuse to catch Slade messing up; something that could give Osborn leverage. Yet nothing worked, this cunning villain was always a step ahead, with no sign of weakness, or mistake. An honest challenge that required Norman to think out of the box to get what he wanted.

"So we can agree that the Green Goblin is just another crazed lunatic to get rid of," Leaning up from his seat, Norman advised, "Had Spider-girl not come any sooner, that maniac would have revealed everything to the public.". With furrowed eyebrows, his tone grew colder, "...And I can't afford to lose my life's work, now can I?"

Yet, Slade didn't seem the least bothered, "You shouldn't be too concerned." he concluded, "Had he wanted to expose our organisation, he would have done so already." At the larger screen in front of Slade, it pauses at a picture from the Daily Bugle; Y/N's pictures... of Spider-girl dodging Goblin's multiple jack-o-lantern shurikens mid-air. "Considering we still have little information on the Green Goblin's identity, it's best we wait for him to appear again, and gain more intel from there." The larger screen suddenly switches off, "Only then, we can get rid of him."

Norman got straight back to business, "You understand I'll require some compensation for losing so much valuable technology." 

"Already on its way," Slade finally turned around to face Norman on his computer screen, "but just because I'm feeling generous today, doesn't mean I will be next time." Holding out a small remote, Slade's expression had a chilling unknown to how he was truly feeling. Almost impossible to tell if he was angry, sad, or even happy due to his unpredictable nature, "...Pleasure doing business, Osborn."