CHAPTER 13: THE TALKING BIRD

"I... I'm a Saint..." Felicia uttered after realising what she did to the bird. She still couldn't believe what she did. Was that really her? Or was it all a hoax? She felt like what happened was something unreliable, thus she had to prove something.

Looking at her surroundings, she needs to have something sharp to hurt herself because everything seems like it didn't sink in with her yet. As her eyes tried to look for anything that could possibly hurt her, her eyes suddenly landed on the letter opener, a type of knife that deals with letters.

She immediately went to her vanity mirror, looking at her reflection as she pointed the knife in her hand. Her heart was beating loudly to the point that even her head started to throb. She was never calm, she was shaking as the memory of getting stabbed by her landlady keeps on flashing in her head.

Her breath started to increase rapidly, showing signs of being on the edge, anxious and agitated. Her pupils were shaking, lips quivering, while she was breathing abnormally. She was scared, it felt like a trauma for her.

She doesn't want to get inflicted with pain, yet in order to prove that she wasn't wrong about what she saw earlier, she needs to do it. She closed her eyes, calmed herself down and in a split second, she gasped as the pain started to corrupt her whole senses.

She opened her eyes and saw that her hand, near the pulse area, was bleeding a lot. Blood was pouring out of her skin and her skin was torn apart. It was something serious as she had used a lot of force to cut herself.

She was still breathing rapidly, scared as she looked at the blood pouring out of her hand. "Haa... Ha..." Her breath hitched as she let out a moan of pain. Tears instantly threw themselves out of her eyes as she stayed still in her position.

She was on the verge of collapsing, she was scared and her mind was blank as she continuously stared at the gushing blood. Then all of a sudden, the bird flew in her direction, landed on the floor and opened its beak.

The bird was smart, he waited until the droplets of blood went inside its beak, swallowing the blood of Felicia. With a few drinks of her blood, the bird then flew, landing on her vanity table as she stared at Felicia with its black and soul-less eyes.

"Heal it." The bird suddenly was able to speak human words that Felicia was awoken from her deep state of succumbing to fear. Her eyes went wide as her mouth fell on the floor, gaping as she heard the birds talk.

"WHAT THE HELL?!" She shouted as she accidentally let go of the knife. The knife fell on the floor yet Felicia's eyes were still on the bird that was staring at her. Its eyes were wide, very feathery and it could turn its head to 180° degrees, enabling him to look back without turning his body around.

"Pray for it to heal your wounds." The bird said as it kept its eyes on Felicia. On the other hand, Felicia felt very creepy but decided to do what the bird had said. She took a deep breath, face wincing because of the pain and let out the air she was stuffing inside her.

She closed her eyes, holding her hand as she started to pray, wishing for her hand to return back to normal. She could still feel the pain and it ended up forcing her to pray well.

All of a sudden, she could feel her hand getting light, something convivial. It was like the feeling of being in a green field, a windy environment yet a cool feeling. It's as if she was in spring, experiencing how everything felt light and peaceful.

The pain subsided and she could feel her wound getting cold yet pleasant and at ease. Her eyes slowly opened, looking at the wound that she created was finally not there. Her eyes went even wider as she looked over her hand, touching it and pinching it as if ever it was a joke or something but it didn't feel like she just cut herself up with the knife.

"WHAT THE HELL!" She exclaimed loudly as she stared at her hand. She tried to shake it, slap it, and licked it, trying to make herself believe that the wound was still there but her hand was smooth and soft as if nothing happened.

"Oh my god! I really am a Saint!" She exclaimed loudly as she stared at the bird that suddenly talked out of nowhere. Her face displayed an expression of still shock and disbelief yet at the same time, happiness flashes on her face.

"B-but how the hell did this happen?" She asked herself, looking at the floor where she was standing. It was filled with blood that was spilt earlier when she cut herself. It was evident that she healed herself and wounded herself just to prove that her eyes didn't trick her earlier.

"Because you are blessed with her love." The bird said, flying back to her bed and resting itself as if it owned her room. Felicia who kept on following the bird with her eyes was perplexed with what the bird said to her.

"What do you mean?" She asked, picking up the knife before she could even hurt herself one more time. "Might as well clean your blood before anything else. It is much more holier than what you have expected." The bird added as its black eyes followed Felicia's movement.

Following the bird's words, she grabbed anything that could wipe the blood off the tiles that she had just ruined with her blood. She's confused with the bird and how the hell did she get this inhumane ability when it wasn't mentioned in the novel?

"Does that mean there's a lot to tell that wasn't included in the novel?" She asked herself as she continued to clean off her own blood using a handkerchief she just picked up out of nowhere.

"I'm done... Now explain because my head is about to burst if you won't answer any of my questions. First, what made you talk? Are you a demon? What do you mean by the words you said earlier? Why did you tell me to wipe my blood? What's with my blood? Am I a demon?" She asked, spitting questions one after one another that the bird glared at her.

"Can you lose some steam first and not bombard me with questions? Because I can't answer all of your questions." The bird demanded which made Felicia raise her brow, what a rude bird.

"I am a bird, known as the Noctua and I was able to speak because of your blood. You see, every time the Saintess cries, it signifies another birth of a Saintess. Saintesses are regarded as the holiest beings, far more powerful than the Pope. The Saintess' blood can cure everything, even the deadliest poison can be cured. So you must hide the fact that you are the Saintess born by the Goddess. Because if you don't shut your mouth, they will take advantage of you." The bird that called itself Noctua said to her.

"I thought Saintesses are the ones who are picked by the Pope itself? Aren't there also maidens who can wield the holy spirit?" Felicia asked after gaining new knowledge. But it wasn't the case when Helena became the Saintess, wasn't she picked by the Pope for displaying such holy power?

"What do you mean? Saintesses are born directly from the Goddess. A mere Pope, tries to pick the Saintess? Sounds like a joke to me." Noctua said, cooing as if it was laughing about something ridiculous.

"But... There is already a Saintess..." Felicia said, thinking about Helena. What the hell is going on here? What's with the unfolding just because of this bird? Should she believe this bird? But what if it's telling lies?

"A Saintess? Did the goddess cry for that Saintess? Is that Saintess able to perform an enormous amount of holy power?" The bird asked. Felicia then thought about it, the first thing when she had arrived here, Helena definitely performed her spell when she was pushed by Alexander.

And she could feel the energy from it too. But wasn't the light a little bit smokey and grey compared to the light she saw when she was able to perfectly use her ability? What's the difference?

Then again remembering the inside of the novel, it was said that the goddess had a wave of tears and the Pope had his vision that it was Helena who was blessed with the Goddess' power. The novel said that Helena was blessed by the Goddess's personality.

But what if it was all lies to hide the truth about what actually had happened? What if everything wasn't true at all? "Yes... The goddess definitely cried..." Felicia answered, baffled by her own answers. The novel is one of those shit novels created by authors who didn't care about everyone else rather than the main character.

It was poorly written and had a lot of loopholes. So something doesn't feel right for Felecia who was in deep thought, thinking about what the owl had said to her. She had forgotten some of the novel's happening and it was hard to remember anything at all.