21. Gym

TW: talk of seizures, convulsive episode (this chapter is intense so be warned)

(Abby's point of view)

For some reason, we thought it was a good idea to go to the gym. Me and Julien used to go a few times a week before she went on tour with Phoebe and Lucy. I kind of lost motivation when she was away, and she was getting a workout every night. I found other ways to be active, though. We always went in the late afternoon, so then when we got home we could just eat dinner and shower. It was also less busy, which both of us thought was good.

I say we thought it was a good idea because, honestly, we did. It would be good to get some exercise, and get out of the apartment. If we kept going, I would get stronger. I had gotten pretty weak. It would probably help me sleep better too.

But...no. Just minutes after I had started on the treadmill, when my heart rate picked up and I got breathless, I had another one of those gut feelings that I should stop. Per usual, I ignored it. I really needed to stop ignoring it. I think I was trying to prove to myself that I could exercise.

After about ten minutes of being uncomfortable, yet forcing myself to keep going, I needed a break. I got off the treadmill and put my hands on my knees for support. Julien must've seen me, because seconds later her hand was on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

I stood up slowly, my high ponytail flipping back.

"My heart's pounding." I was practically wheezing.

"You need to sit down," Julien told me. "I'll grab your water."

I looked at my Apple watch, and holy shit. My heart rate was at 142 beats per minute. By the time Julien came back, I was losing my vision. The water bottle she put in my hands was blurry. My chest was starting to hurt.

"Abby?" She said, standing right in front of my gaze. "What's going on?"

"I'm...so d-dizzy." I choked out.

I felt her arms wrap around me and set me on the floor. Now, my chest was painful, doing that stabbing thing whenever I inhaled or exhaled. I was nauseous and extremely lightheaded. My ears were ringing, and I was unaware of anything that was happening. That was definitely the worst I had felt before passing out. I was absolutely miserable. I don't remember much else. Everything simply disappeared when I felt my body hit the gym floor.

***

(Julien's point of view)

Abby's eyes were glazed over as she stared at her legs. She was really shaky, but she seemed unbothered. Her breathing was short and erratic. I sat right beside her, ready to catch her if needed. After a minute her eyes closed and she started to fall backwards. I put my hand behind her head right before it hit the floor. I wasn't just going to let her head slam onto the floor. I looked around, to see if anyone was watching. There was only one other person in there. He was a regular, constantly growing his huge muscles. We waved to him occasionally, but we weren't gym bros or anything. Abby started to move so I looked back at her. I expected to find her waking up...but no. She sure was moving, but she was moving like...

Like she was having a seizure.

"HELP!" I screamed. I didn't know what else to do. "Help, PLEASE!"

The other guy in the gym looked up. He saw Abby, and then me, absolutely losing it.

"Call 911!!!" I yelled at him "She's having a seizure!!!!"

He pulled out his phone and started talking. For a second, he ran out, then came back with someone who worked at the front desk.