Chapter 2 : The 'Trip'

Jamie, whose full name was Jamison, kept his word and postponed the wedding date. I didn't know how he persuaded my parents but everything was going too good to be true. 

I had been able to prepare by myself during the day but Jamie and I would be on call for late-night preparations. My parents weren't subtle about their hatred for my behavior. They didn't approve of the bride and groom knowing each other before the wedding. I would've been devastated if this had been a real wedding but now that it's not, I didn't care as long as they didn't force me to stop.

I was naturally a fast learner and had knowledge in my field due to past preparations which I thought were in vain as my parents put a full stop for placements. But now I was glad. I was able to revise everything in three days and practice for the next week.

Jamie applied to six companies on my behalf. After initial aptitude, technical MCQ, and coding rounds, three companies selected me for an offline HR interview. Of course, it had been hell to get my parent's permission. Jamie had to talk to my dad for 3 hours straight to get him to permit me for the two-day 'trip'. I cried for an extra 2 hours before he even considered it.

I had prepared hard for this. Not only me but Jamie had been up for hours at night with me boosting my confidence. He didn't have to do it. He could've just kept the call connected and done whatever he wanted. But he was with me the whole time, listening to my explanation and asking questions. 

We never talked about anything personal though. Jamie was very strict when it came to work. I was allowed regular 10-minute breaks but that was it. If I took extra time he would just disconnect the call and disappear from the online world. 

Let interviews go to hell. 

But I didn't have trouble doing the things I love for long hours so it wasn't much of a problem. He pushed me to give my best. I really started to like this guy.

The trip was just for 2 days but I'd never been on a trip with friends befo... 

friends? 

Did I say 'friend'? Had he become my friend? Jamie was a nice guy. He might be a great friend but I knew nothing about him to consider him my friend. Anyway, we were stuck with each other for the next 6 months. So, hopefully, I would at least end up with a good friend even if I fuck up my already worse life with this 'wedding game'.

All three interviews I was about to attend were 200 miles away from home and we decided to stay in his aunt's house. It should've been his friend's house but my parents wouldn't accept unless there's an adult involved. Though I'm 23 and an adult myself, I didn't count.

After 10 days of preparation, there I was in his car, traveling toward my dream. He wasn't talking much. I was not much of a talker either, so I was peacefully singing along to the songs on the radio. I was not so great at singing, but I didn't bother. I've never had the guts to sing out loud when my dad was around. One rude word from him would break my heart and ruin my mood for days. So I was gonna use the opportunity to the fullest. I loved singing. The music basically melted in my ears and poured on my heart. I'd always wanted to go to karaoke but I was neither allowed nor did I have the appropriate company.

***

I finished the first two interviews on day one. I was too nervous for the first one and didn't answer properly. In the second one, I did better. The next day was the third and last interview. That was my last shot at this. No way on earth could we get permission for another 'trip'. We were up for hours practicing that night and his aunt was so sweet, she even made me hot tea at regular intervals. 

I didn't know how or when I fell asleep but when I woke up sometime in the middle of the night, I saw Jamie marking practice questions to do a mock interview the next morning. Honestly, that guy was putting more effort than me, I kind of felt guilty.