Chapter 5 : Gym Day

"Why do you want to go to the gym?", asked Anya over the phone. It had been four weeks since I started living away from home, and it had been the best month of my life. I'd been working so damn hard. Day and night. I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway, but it was not because of that. 

I'd started UI/UX freelancing along with my full-time job, and it was sucking up all my hours. I was happy, though. I felt like I was finally contributing something. Like I was not worthless anymore. 

It was Jamie's idea in the first place. He helped me get my first customer. After the incident in the car last month, I thought Jamie would avoid me, or worse, hate me. But he acted like it never happened. He even started talking more than before, taking an interest in what I was doing and regularly checking up on me.

In the past month, I had become close to Jamie and also Alex. 

Elle had practically become my baby sister, whom I had vowed to take care of. 

Ricky had become my super cool half-brother. He still called me babe, and lately, I'd started playfully flirting with him too. Ugh... This guy was contagious. 

We didn't see Joel often, but when we did, he was the source of our joy. He gracefully commented about everyone and everything with a poker face, which made us burst with laughter. 

On the other hand, Anya, who might seem to be the evil stepsister of Ursula at first, was in fact so kind and mature.

This is how Anya looks like 👇🏻

If it were up to me, I would pair playful Ricky with mature Anya and considerate Alex with my baby Elle, but what they had now was the best I could ever imagine

If it were up to me, I would pair playful Ricky with mature Anya and considerate Alex with my baby Elle, but what they had now was the best I could ever imagine. These guys never fail to fascinate me.

"Hello, are you there?", Anya's voice sounded through my phone. Right. I zoned out.

"Yeah. I'm eating too much fast food these days. You guys are basically filling me up, and thanks to you, I have lots of excess fat in all parts of my body. If this continues, I'll have to stop wearing shorts and skirts altogether and switch to baggy clothes", I said.

"I still don't get why you have to go to the gym. Having some fat is not illegal! Embrace your beauty, babe", she said. Anya was almost slim, and Elle had the perfect body. Of course, they wouldn't get why I wanted to work out.

"You're right. I probably shouldn't have asked you", I said blandly as I tried to disconnect the call.

"Wait wait wait. Gosh. You and your temper these days", Anya said, sounding as annoyed as me.

"Even if you really want to, why on earth did you decide to ask me? I've never set foot in a gym before", she said.

"Then who should I ask, my Highness?" I asked, and she said, "Your Jamie, obviously".

Did she say 'your' Jamie? "Why would I 'obviously' ask Jamie, and when did he become mine?", I asked, confused.

"Are you kidding?", she bellowed. "Jamie's got the hottest body in the gang. No. The hottest body in the whole city".