Chapter 19 : He kissed me back

I broke away from the trance.

My eyes were closed. "Pull her away." I heard a voice in the distance, and I knew this was the same person who had gasped the loudest a second ago. Jessica.

My mind cleared of the muddled thoughts, and I realized what I was doing.

I'M KISSING JAMIEEEE... ON THE LIPSSSS.

I started to panic; my body began to shiver, and I started to pull away, but before I could, a strong set of hands clutched my side and pulled me in the direction that I didn't want to go. I tried to struggle, but my mind went blank when he kissed me back.

JAMIE IS KISSING ME BACKKK.

The banging noise of the pub and the sound of a girl cursing tuned out of my head, and all I could hear was my heart beating like a caged beast struggling to break down the walls and soar through the sky.

My eyes were still closed, and all I could sense was how his lips were so strong and, at the same time, soft as butter. I felt like melting against him when I realized how hot he was. Literally hot. I leaned into the heat radiating off him, feeling like a caterpillar reeling into the comfort of the cocoon.

I wanted to freeze time, etch this moment in my memory forever, and never leave this place. It was just a first-step kiss. No tongues involved. Yet I could feel his heartbeat fighting to make itself known to me.

When he shivered a little and slightly moved his hands from my waist, his movements unsure, I realized that I had been frozen in place. The moment had hit me so hard that I forgot I needed to move. That I needed to kiss him back. Before he could pull away, I wrapped my hands around his shoulders and slowly dragged one into his silky, smooth hair. The hair I had wanted to touch and play with every time I saw him.

I was reveling in the moment until a slender hand practically dragged me away, and I screamed, "Wait." My eyes snapped open, and my blood ran cold when I saw the faces staring at me. The hands left me, and I turned to see Alex and Elle dragging Jessica away.

No one said a word. They didn't have to. Their looks said all that was left unsaid.

Whore.

Tears burned the back of my eyes. But I refused to let them down. Unable to stand the stares of disgust, I lowered my eyes to the floor.

I heard Anya and someone else shoo people away, and Jamie took a step towards me, his hands reaching out. I stepped back. He had given me so much, but I had taken it for granted. After all he did for me, I was out there destroying his life in front of so many people.

He dropped his hands but came close to me, like he wanted to say something, but I didn't want to hear it. It was a mistake. Everything was a mistake. I wanted to say. But all that came out of my mouth was, "I'm sorry," before I ran away as my tears broke their barriers.

***

I lay there in someone's bed for an hour; I didn't even know whose. A few girls had come in a few minutes ago, but when they saw my pathetic face, they rushed out and never came back. Instead, a knock sounded on the door, and I heard Ricky's muffled voice say, "Hey, can I come in?"

When I didn't respond, he let himself in and settled at the end of the mattress. The mattress dipped just like my heart did an hour ago.

He sounded fascinated when he spoke. "You surprised me out there."

I didn't respond. I didn't move an inch. If I hadn't been blinking, he might've thought I was dead. Except that I really was. But he didn't know me enough to notice.