Chapter 4 : His Past

"Congrats!!!"

I had a heart attack. "Gosh! You guys scared me to hell", I said with a hand on my heart, which was speeding like a bullet train.

Anya and Elle were beaming at me at my doorstep at 9 o'clock in the morning. Wait. Were they supposed to be here? "What are you two doing here?", I asked.

They smiled at each other. "We're gonna go celebrate today. You got a job and moved here with us. You became a free bird", said Elle, standing on one foot and holding her hands awkwardly in the air, trying to mimic a bird. I laughed and let them inside.

This is what Elle looks like 👇🏻

That's right. I got the job. Yay!!! It was a tedious job to get my parents' permission. So, I decided I wouldn't bother Jamie this time. After two days of fighting and crying day and night by myself, my dad called Jamie and asked if he was okay with LETTING me have a job. I didn't know how he could possibly 'let' me have a job, but, Ugh... you know how my parents are. Anyway, he said that he didn't mind as long as I wanted it, so... Yeah. I should've let him talk first.

So there I was, in the same city as Jamie and all his friends. My parents wouldn't let me stay with them though Elle practically begged my dad. She was so cute. I was now staying in a private dorm with two other girls. I didn't know them, but one girl seemed to be nice. Her name was Riya.

I moved in just yesterday and didn't even get settled in my room, but these girls wanted me to go enjoy with them. "I didn't even unpack", I said, though I was secretly too happy that I had people to share my joy with.

"Don't bother. Just pick something random. We're going straight for shopping anyway", said Anya. Shopping? Not a big fan.

"Yeah. We'll be shopping for two hours, and the boys will join us for lunch", said Elle with so much enthusiasm, that it was contagious.

***

That's how I ended up in those shorts and a T-shirt. "Girls. If my papa saw me now, he'd probably burn me alive", I said, and they giggled.

"What he doesn't know won't hurt him", said Anya as she noticed a blue frock in the nearby shop and rushed in.

Yeah. I'd be toast if my parents knew. The dress I was wearing was not too revealing, yet not modest enough for my family. But I had to live a little, right? If not now, then when?

I followed the girls into shop after shop until I had five bags hanging from each of my fingers. I had bought enough clothing to last a lifetime, but none I could wear in front of my parents.

***

"Hey, babe", shouted Ricky as soon as I entered the restaurant. I glanced at Elle, but she was animatedly chatting with Anya, the least bit bothered.